Thread: What is gore in The Elder Scrolls?

What is gore in The Elder Scrolls?

As some of you know, the PC mod for the topless female models in Oblivion caused the failure ESRB to re-rate the game as "M-rated". Oblivion has sold real well, even as an M-rated game so why not have gore in the next game. Now here I want to know what is gore in The Elder Scrolls so is there anyone who will let me know what it is Gore in this game. Please help me out as soon as possible because I am being searching for the same from long time.

Re: What is gore in The Elder Scrolls?

Obviously not like that of Fallout nor like that of the mod Deadly Reflex. If it happen, dismemberment happen because it happen with extreme force applied to the blow and happens rarely, not to the point it happen all the time. It was rated M when they relook what in Oblivion after the spread of news of the left over texture. They found neat stuff in the Oblivion Realm, like corpses and stuff. Well, they were not too happy that it exist there as T, so they made it a weak M.

I disagree. I shoot someone's leg off in FO3, there's a leg on the ground as there should be. If I torch someone with a fire spell in Oblivion, shouldn't they be singed? If I whack them repeatedly in the arm with a sword, that arm should at least dangle if not completely fall off. FO3 only gets gory if you have the Bloody Mess perk. I'm certainly not advocating something like that be incorporated into TESV, but it should be a bit more realistic.

Sure, I'd like to see magical impacts on the human body, and again, seeing a few gashes would be fool, but even upon crippled limbs, you're taking it a bit further than I think it needs to be in terms of the TES universe. But you're right, the corpse shouldn't be completely spotless after a merciless thrashing. True, because in better term, these are one of the main aspect of Fallout. It’s a given. TES-wise, its a hell lot more sketchy, but the current system for TES is fine the way it is.

Just because ESRB decided to rare Oblivion M doesn't mean Bethesda will shoot for an M rating in future games. It's already pretty obvious that M rated games can still be commercial successes, as demonstrated by titles like Grand Theft Auto and most first person shooters. If anything, the M rating can sometimes be one of the causes to their success. Thus, I really don't think Bethesda had any reason to try to avoid an M rating out of fear that the game might fail because of it.

That being said, though, I'd like Bethesda to make the next game a little more violent, violence like Fallout 3 isn't necessary, as exploding heads from pistol shots is a little excessive, what I want is something a little more realistic, or at least, closer to how one might imagine a fight involving swords, axes and fireballs and the like to look like. Let's face it, the Elder Scrolls isn't exactly you're average Saturday morning cartoon. It deals with issues such as nobles being assassinated, monsters killing people, and world-threatening Daedric invasions. These are serious issues with lives at stake, and while maybe some would disagree, I find that it delivers a very conflicting message when, with all this going on, people killed by repeated blows from huge swords look like they're just sleeping. Granted, some stories really can find ways to avoid showing lots of blood and gore while still getting the right feeling across.

Maybe it's because the people that died are all killed in ways where you wouldn't expect to see lots of blood, or maybe they're just good at hiding the gory details while still getting the point across that what's going on is not all rainbows and bunnies. However, neither Morrowind nor Oblivion pulled this off pretty well, and part of the reason is because they're much more up close and personal with their first person perspectives than most movies. When shooting a movie, it's easy to put the camera somewhere where viewers could accept not to see blood when someone is shot, you can't do this in first person games.