Thread: CoD Black Ops (PC) won't run on screen

CoD Black Ops (PC) won't run on screen

I have all CoD games including Modern Warfare 2 (STEAM) that all play with out a hitch but this Black Ops will not start but shows as running in Task Mgr.

I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it and it will start and play perfectly in either solo or multiplayer but then when tried again reverts to running only in back. How do I get it to run on screen every time?

Re: CoD Black Ops (PC) won't run on screen

First of all can you tell us what is your computer specifications? Does your pc meets up with the CoD Black Ops games minimum requirement? Have you uninstalled and reinstalled the latest graphics driver that is needed to play games? What operating system have you installed in your pc? Do you get any kind of error message when the game closes or crashes?

Thanks Hitman22 for your reply. I'm running Vista Home Premium on a Gateway FX7020 desktop computer, 500 GB Hard Drive, 3 GB DDR2 Dual memory with the AMD phenom 9600 processor and a NVidia GeForce 9800GT EE.

I have no problems running all CoD games including Modern Warfare 1 & 2, Only this Black Ops and I have played several games both solo & Mulit of black ops with no problem before this happened.

I get the small black STEAM announcment that the game is starting then nothing. the screen remains with the desktop showing.

When I check the Task Master the game is shown as playing.

I think that it is problem with the game update, so try to rename clientregistry.blob then rerun steam (enter account and pass) then updates for cod will start and then it will work. You should send the defective clientregistry.blob to Valve by creating a support ticket, so they can fix that issue in future steam updates.

Mario2 thanks for your input. I renamed the file "clientregistryold.blob" and updated thru my steam account but no luck. When game is initiated the screen still shows the small black announcment that CoD Black Ops is starting etc. then disappears and nothing happens, but program is running in TaskMgr. I had a heck of a time finding "clientregistryfile" as I am not very computer literate, add I'm a slow 76yr old to boot so any help I get is really appreciated.

Can you please navigate to C:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\CODBlackops\ then right click the program that has SP in it that is a application its like IW3SP or watever and right click it go to properties and go to compatibility and click windows 98. It may seem wierd but it worked for many other games. Or you can even try the below:

1. "Verify game cache" option, "Defrag", and try running again.
    2. "Delete local content" option and reinstall the game again
    3. Verify the files and defrag them again, then try running.

thanks Ninja-X I did as you suggested and when right clicking on CoD Black Ops there is no file with an SP in it. I am going to uninstall the game and reinstall..let u know what happens.