Thread: Armor system in Elder Scrolls

Armor system in Elder Scrolls

Long time since I have posted here, but I recently thought of one thing in TES that is badly done. That is the armor system, not only are the names wrong, it also doesn't make sense. We have the division between heavy and light armor, previously also medium armor. And think about this a little: the cheapest heavy armor you can find is a full plate suit, and it's very cheap. It's a full plate armor, making I am out of some indestructible fantasy material is the only thing that can make it better, and that's how it's done.

Re: Armor system in Elder Scrolls

Here's what I think of it: Instead of having equipment from 2 classes, there is only weight and how restrictive armor is. Because armor skill doesn't make sense in the first place, agility and athletics should be what makes armor movement easier. That would be great for roleplay, you have the choice of what to do based on what you need. A normal adventurer wouldn't need more than a chest armor and some good boots, maybe. But if you want to be a tank warrior, you can get yourself some fully covering heavy armor. The current system makes it so that it's no good option not to use armor, and i you do, you better carry a full suit, just minimal penalties.

I would also like a unified armor skill. However i think there should be much stronger differences between heavy and light armor. Heavy armor should make you lose endurance faster, reduce sneak ability, severely restrict magic use don’t get me started on oblivions magic system and perhaps impair swimming like in two worlds. Light armor should provide substantially less protection, however less taxing on sneak ability, endurance and magic use. Morrowind and oblivion do this to some extent but it doesn’t feel dramatically different when wearing heavy vs light armor. I also agree about no penalties when you get to high skill level. being a master should have no effect on how much the armor ways. it simple might allow you to move better in it or lessen the endurance drain.

My point being anyone can put on extremely heavy armor, but a newb1e or a weakling can be easily kicked out of balance, and that helmet WILL be hacked in when you're helpless in the ground. Arrows should either bounce off or penetrate the armor. When hitting chain, they could make blunt damage without penetrating. Heavy armor to be more rare and costly, to hinder your movement speed greatly, and to ruin almost every attempt of sneaking silently.

It would help in that accord if every weapon had three damage percentages. Piercing, cutting, and blunt. Arrows would have more piercing than anything, but they would have some blunt damage and a little cutting damage, especially when they're removed. A would have a good piercing and blunt, but little slashing. Swords depending on the type would have good slashing, but only some blunt and low piercing unless you are stabbing with it. I've been thinking that the cost of the weapons and armor should depend on the amount of metal you use. Labor was cheap back in the day, and it was the materials that were expensive. So, a wooden mace with metal spikes is fairly cheap, an axe is a medium expense, and a sword is freaking expensive. To this end, they need to equip the armies accordingly. It was good that the guards generally wore chainmail in Oblivion, full plate Iron should be much more expensive.

The odd decision to include shin guards as part of your boots, and call the causes or cuisses over your thighs greaves, still makes me wonder about what they were thinking at the time. Looking at anything from early Greek or other armor from antiquity through the medieval period, Greaves always covered your shins, not your thighs. At least it's not as bad as one system I vaguely recall, which called the over your forearms arm greaves. That's like calling a pair of shoes "foot gloves", and sounds pretty stupid to anyone more familiar with naming conventions for armor which I would assume that any "adventurer" in a sword-wielding fantasy world would be. Shortening the term to "bracers" is acceptable. Interesting discussion. A dynamic, multi-faceted system would be a great addition to role-playing the

Well this game has too much more variety in play styles. However, it would mean more armor types - easy enough to do if we include the armors from Morrowind. Inclusion of these would mean the player could progress up the scale of better armour based on how much money they had and whether their respective armour skill allowed them to wear that type of armour. This would mean you can't necessarily buy a set of plate 'off the rack' as a newbie straight out of the sewers, unless you were, for example, a Nord or with Heavy Armour as a major. In saying that though, I do tend to agree with the combination of the light/heavy armour skills into one.