Thread: Critical Strike skill in The Elder Scrolls?

Critical Strike skill in The Elder Scrolls?

Critical strikes in general with high damage hits and one-hit kills. There are a few floating around so I will generalize a few into their skills. Point out any that do not fit or do not make sense as a critical strike. Also, add some. Critical strike chance should be higher the less armor you wear. That is how it would be in real life and it would give you a reason to not always use armor if you want to play a assassin type of character, or mage etc. It should be built passively into the weapon skills, and be affected by how high skill you have, how much your carrying, how much armor you are wearing and your agility.

Re: Critical Strike skill in The Elder Scrolls?

I think a critical strike should be your weapon skill + your medical skill against their dodge skill + armor they are wearing. If they have good armor and average dodging ability, it would be pretty hard to land a good critical strike. The medical skill lets you know where to hit to do the most damage, especially against creatures. There could be a unique animation for critical strikes, but nothing too fancy, just a different swing animation and extra blood.

Tying it in weapon skill, perks, and knowledge of your enemy is pretty much how one figures out where and how to strike the best. Don't like the idea of encumbrance, or armor affecting your chance, as leather really isn't that flexible, while that big heavy Gothic armor is actually a lot more flexible than people are lead to believe. However, armor should factor in if one will or won't get nailed with a critical strike. If someone isn't wearing much, it should be incredibly easy to score a blow to a sensitive spot, while scoring on someone wearing tough armor covering most of their body should be hard.

I am not for a single critical strike skill, so I guess that the chance should be tied to the respective weapons skill. Also it should be effected by your attributes, but I would choose different ones. Agility is good. The "vital spots" are usually hard to hit, so you need to be agile to do so. Perception is nice as well as you have to actually "see" the spot. I would also add intelligence. In TES, the meaning of the various attributes is a bit blurred at best, but I guess, that to be able to hit a vital location, you need to know where that location actually is, and I think that high intelligence might represent this. Also luck would be a good choice. Sometimes getting lucky is all it takes to hit the right spot.

I would also love to see some monster identification skill the name is borrowed from M&M since I lack creativity at the moment), which would help you to know more about your enemies. It is kind of strange that in TES world it does not meter if you kill 1 scamp or hundred. You still not the same about them. I would like to have a skill that would allow me to gather information. Like resistances, weaknesses, weak spots and so on. Logically this skill would help you to land critical strikes against opponents you know.

I personally think it should be controlled by your weapon skill. With one's Attributes such as agility and encumbrance having an effect on your chance of actually hitting your targeted area. This could be controlled an equation that would determine the range of a dice roll that would actually decide where your attack would hit within a certain area of your targeted area), with higher attributes/skill and a lower encumbrance decreasing the range of the dice roll, increasing the chance that the roll will be in your favor.

Critical Strikes being an event by NPC's dodge PC's medical skill, PC's weapon skill, and the comparison of the PC's and NPC's luck and Perception. Also the familiarity with the enemy type sNPC classes could help here; time spent fighting studying the creature type. This is more precise damage and likely to gimp a limb, torso, or head. It is instinctive and not an input controlled by the PC. It can be achieved in almost any kind of combat, and the overall animation strike should represent that it is quick, efficient, possibly powerful, and extremely balanced.