Thread: Does anyone like the empire in The Elder Scrolls?

Does anyone like the empire in The Elder Scrolls?

So basically, do you like the Empire and what it stands for? This need to dominate and control all neighboring provinces. Although it claims to bring peace throughout the land. The Empire is merely a tradeoff. Either you've got one gigantic political and military entity controlling trade and directing wars in specific directions, or else a lot of petty warlords and local rulers all bickering and fighting, with nobody safeguarding trade. In either case, you've got wars or a lot of smaller local skirmishes in their place, and setbacks to trade legal restrictions and taxes or else bandits and protection payments.

Re: Does anyone like the empire in The Elder Scrolls?

The Empire is a lot like the NCR from Fallout New Vegas. The people like them because they keep Caesar's Legion away but they don't like them to take over their towns and establish laws and taxes. People appreciate the Empire for bringing peace and stability but they can be jerks sometimes too. I like the Empire because it seems pretty damn awesome to have one ruler for an entire continent something that real world humans have not done

In general, having the empire allowed more stability and protection. Without it, culture-wide vendettas and hatreds are allowed to explode again. I do not expect the daggerfall and high rock regions to be stable, like at the end of DF. The dunmer were driven out of MW by BM. Skyrim is expanding borders, without someone to tell them no. And let us not forget the altmer are trying to reestablish the Aldmeri Domain, and I see it as a force that's not keen on allowing other races, other than mer, to be above the level of a slave, if not engage in a genocidal campaign against humans, due to their following of them.

I actually really like the Empire, just as a game device. I prefer the more Roman version presented in Morrowind, it just seems to fit the theme better, rather than the medieval European style of Oblivion. I know Beth doesn't want to nail down an influence, but medieval Europe was a fractured, feudalistic society rather than a unifying civilization. Then again, maybe that's what they were going for. Various Septims throughout the history of the Empire in TES have shown both sides of the coin. Decentralized government or government by "committee" is a guarantee of mediocrity, as a price for its protection from the excesses and abuses of a potential dictator; the more decentralized the more mediocre.

It's said that monarchy is both the best and the worst form of government. The quality of that government is largely determined by the personal qualities of the individual at the head of it, which is generally unpredictable from one generation to the next. A great leader can take advantage of the focused power afforded by a strong central government and make serious improvements in the quality of life; a bad leader can use that control to bring misery to thousands or even millions.

The Empire in the TES series is a very effective story element as a contrast to the bickering and fragmented realms which it gathered within its strong grasp. I've played one character who was best termed an "Imperial lackey" to the max, and another whose driving ambition was to punish the Empire that first imprisoned him and then dumped him on that forsaken island. Personally, I "sort of" like it, but have plenty of reservations about it.