Thread: Dialog System in The Elder Scrolls

Dialog System in The Elder Scrolls

Personally, I'd have to pick the Morrowind/Daggerfall style just because it allows for much more detail at less cost and annoyances I think every one who's played Oblivion would know what I mean as well as it making the game more mod friendly. True you can make a mod containing dialog in Oblivion with or without voice acting, but to make something that's on par with the game and fits the style is a very hard thing to accomplish. If it's not done right or at all it can really knock a mod down in value.

Re: Dialog System in The Elder Scrolls

Now if it were truly plausible at this time to have really realistic and customizable speech synthesis in a game or editor for a game, then this would truly be my first choice and I think since we are talking about all future versions of TES I think it's safe to say that this definitely should happen when it becomes possible. And for anyone who says that reading the text on a console is a tedious and annoying. Play Fable 3. Not to down grade it at all, it is a great game and you should play it, but if you do you might realize what I'm talking about.There are also many ways in which you can make a text based dialog work quickly and effectively. I wont list at the moment, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out yourself

Voice-acting was the new standard nearly five years ago when Oblivion was released. Nothing's changed. TES V WILL be voice-acted, but as for what I prefer, I don't care too much, as long as there is some voice acting, at the very least, and no, Daggerfall did not have voice acting. "Halt" and "vengeance" aren't voice acting. Daggerfall is far too... lonely for my taste. I would prefer full voice-acting, as staring at a semi-photorealistic NPC's face all the time with no speech would be awkward and I find a nice sense of immersion with people speaking... like people. However, a lack of voice-acting wouldn't keep me from playing the game.

It'll be voice acted regardless of what we say here. All I hope for is that they dramatically increase the number of voice actors above those 12 people who did all of Oblivion's voicing. It makes it extremely difficult to mod in voice acting (which I can do now since I have a recorder) when every single person of the same race has the same voice. Fallout New Vegas had almost 70 voice actors. Something around that number should be the 'standard' for the next elder scrolls game.

If you record a real person's voice's base phonetic elements to get the timbre and have some advanced software able to add rhythm, inflection, and emotionthen maybe it could work combine that with some advanced facial animation software and that would open up a lot of space on the disk for other things. Of course, maybe some of the more important characters could be fully voice-acted.But I'd take Morrowind's text-mostly version over anything else the whole concept of learning topics was an awesome way to "explore" the world in a dynamic and social way. Even if you just have the character voice the first part of whatever, reading, your mind can fill in the rest.