Thread: In the elder scrolls races based of real world races

In the elder scrolls races based of real world races

I be acquainted with the imperials are based on the romans, the nords are based on the norse, the bretons are based on the French, and the ashlander dunmer the native Americans, and many people have suggested Japanese for the Altmer, but what about the argonians, khajiit, bosmer, redgaurds , and orcs? What you guys think about it? Does anyone know about this? Please share your observation about this. I am waiting for your respond. Thank you.

Re: In the elder scrolls races based of real world races

The non-human races are far harder to pin down. Altmer culture has never struck me as being particularly similar to feudal Japan. Some of the material culture is similar but I imagine they originally obtained this from Akavar - which we know has a strong Asian foundation. Much of what makes Elven and Beast man cultures stand out is strongly rooted in fantasy elements (the Green Pact, the Hist, the many forms of the Khajiit) which overwhelm any real world characteristics.

I agree that the Bretons are more Celtic than French. Their history and culture has similarities to that of Wales before it was conquered. Although most of their names are French-sounding some such as Edwinna Elbert are very English/Anglo-Saxon sounding. The relationship between Altmers and Imperials is similar to that between Greeks and Romans, the older civilisation having cultural influence over the younger although it’s political power has declined.

The Celts aren't a single race, it's a word used to describe many different nationalities whose languages have the same descent. I've compared a lot of things to the Celts, and am an expert on Celtic history myself, and whilst there is Irish in the Nords and Highland Gaelic in the Ashlanders, there is almost nothing with the Bosmer. And, as others have said, it's impossible to say the races are based on a single real-life race. The Orcs have Mongol traits, the Nords have Norse traits; but they also have Afghan traits and French traits, respectively.

There are generally considered to be six major Celtic groups. The Irish, Scottish, and Welsh are the best known, but also included are the Manx, Cornish, and Breton. There are a few other regions that retain or at least had a large celtic presence, in particular parts of England. Depending on the time period Celts can be found in a number of other European locations, most notably the Iberian Peninsula. I also know there is some work on Germanic Celts but I'm less familiar with it.

Since we get to see very few visual clues as to some of the races I'd hazard a guess that most of them so far have attributes belonging to multiple real world cultures. I think this works better within games too. Take Knothole Glade in Fable 1 for instance. The totems and spiral art appeared to be a combination of what is commonly considered Celtic and (apologies for the term) Native American iconography. This personally made it one of my favorite places to hang out. I think it's more imaginative and probable that each TES race is a melting pot of real world cultures and their idiosyncrasies.

I think the khajit are most probably based on an arab race or maybe bedouin because they live in an arid country with deserts called elsweir & they are a notorious travelling, trading race just like our spice trail. I think Bretons are most probably British druids because of the high affinity for magic and the clue is in the name.

Here's my list

Altmer: The English (Read the lore story about how their pilgrims sailed to Tamriel and became the Dunmer, etc) And their personality matches the heavily skewed view of the British villain.

Bosmer: Native Americans (This has been covered by most people whom make these posts)

Bretons: I like to call them the "1066" (A mix of French, Celtic, Anglo-Saxon)

Argonians: Africans (Tribal culture that has made up for a lack of technology with physical fitness and adaptation to their environment.

Imperials: Romans (Obvious)

Nords: Scandinavians with minor Celtic influences

Orcs: Scottish (Mountain Dwellers, Country not really soverign, constantly fighting invasion or being taken under the wing of a larger Empire, Very Mel Gibson presents Scottish history)

Redguards: Middle Easterners (Their clothing style, their names and language)

Khajiit: Roma/Sami/Irish Gypsies (Traveling gypsy people)

Dunmer: This is the only one that doesn't hit me right away, definitely some kind of East Asian with some Mongolian Influence (Yurts)

Obviously each race takes some qualities from more than one real world race, this is an "If I had to say just one"

Hey! I saw this thread and decided to post my opoinion on this..

High Elf=Germans (most blond and storng apearence plus their belief of being a superior race much similar to the beliefs of the Nazis)

Argonias=Africans (for the same reason with Strawfoot)

Wood Elf=Celts (close to woods,nature,harmony and animals etc)

Bretons=Greeks (Adamantine Tower/Acropolis plus the whole story with the Forsworn being natives of Skyrim reminds me of Pont.''Greeks of Pont were natives in Turkey since ancient times,they had strong economy based on agriculture and mining {markarth is a big source of silver} but they were hunted and slaughtered by Kemal, a man who wished Turkey for the Turks {much like Ulfric and Skyrim}

Dark Elfs= Goths (architecture and generall style)

Imperials=Romans

Khajit=Arabs (live in deserts and they got trading caravans)

Nord=Vikings

Orc=Mongols (primitive warrior way of living plus the design of the Orcish armor is based on the mongolian armor)

Redguards=They look africans but their culture sugests Saudi Arabia

Now for older races the Snow Elf statue reminds me of Persian Kings,the Dwemer are possibly Sumerian/Akkadian/Babylonian,Akaviri definately Japanese and... I dont know what else