Thread: What are the things that you don’t liked in The Elder Scrolls?

What are the things that you don’t liked in The Elder Scrolls?

I personally hated the cliff hangers. Because then you have that stupid music running in the background and you're like dude where is the monster already? And you get chased for 15 minutes to find out its a stupid cliff hanger. Who is around, How could you possibly dislike an optional feature..you weren't forced to use fast travel. Conjurers that run around like chickens with their heads cut off in combat. Really the magic system as a whole, especially when trying to aim a fireball at said conjurer moving at the speed of light in random directions.

Re: What are the things that you don’t liked in The Elder Scrolls?

I hate how every man and monster in the game can be defeated by a combination of back-pedaling and jumping while doing any ranged attack. AI in Oblivion consisted of if monster sees you, it bullrushes you very unsatisfying. This combined with level scaling ensured that throughout the game there is never a true challenge. I stick with the series because I can tell that they're actually trying to make significant improvements with every game even when doing so carries a fairly significant risk and that gains them a great deal of respect in my books mainly because outside of Bethesda, the only company that really does that is none that I can really think of), not because I feel like they've done an especially good job so far.

As far as the recent entries in the series go, very nearly everything to be perfectly honest. The models and textures are often poor at best I'd even go as far as to say lazy for a lot of what I've seen in Oblivion, the animations are hilariously bad, and the other visual effects tend to be rather poorly handled. The combat ranges from being unforgivably bad and outright mechanical to being a bit of a joke, the plots are loaded with gigantic and blatant cliches, the writing is mediocre outside of the books and that's being generous, the music has no real emotion or feeling to it, the NPCs always seem extremely stiff whether they're following mechanical schedules or just standing in place, the voice acting is mostly wooden garbage, the stealth elements are generally laughable the other aspects of the gameplay usually feel like they've had no real effort put into them (going from Morrowind to Oblivion, we went from lockpicking consisting of stabbing a lock with a pick to lockpicking consisting of a minigame that isn't even remotely believable as actually having any relation to picking a lock), even as far as size they feel tiny compared to a fairly large number of more recent open-world games, they don't offer as much to do as a lot of other games despite being built around the amount of content they offer, and overall their worlds feel a bit like dead, empty husks.

The movement speed of things as you get farther into the game. Everything was blazing around faster than any FPS and combined with melee combat and slow moving spells it was pretty frustrating at times. I only played Oblivion though, so I do not know how the other games handled it. And I don't really like the idea of being able to bounce 20 feet in the air while wearing heavy armor....really killed my immersion when I got my skills up to high levels. As much as I like NPC's wandering around and having their own lives the combat AI needs work. I can not tell you how many guards and friendly NPCs I accidentally killed as they ran directly in front of my power attacks for NO reason and they would chase things that fall off cliffs or dive into lava they need some sense of self preservation. That is all I can think of in a moment's notice.

Personally, I hate Morrowind and Oblivion's attribute multiplying leveling system, Daggerfall's overly large and maze-like dungeons, Arena and Daggerfall's overly non detailed terrain, Morrowind's fast-travel system, Morrowind's running speed, cliffracers, the joke that became the Bosmer, unique item-scaling in Oblivion, certain forms of enemy-scaling in Oblivion, Arena and Morrowind's lack of buyable houses, Morrowind's puny, well-lighted, and cheerful music playing dungeons, glitches/bugs, Morrowind's "cast with hands out only" magic system, lack of magicka regain in Arena, Daggerfall, and Morrowind, Morrowind's combat/stealth systems, and Arena's, Morrowind's, and Oblivion's complete lack of cloaks.

I hate the extremities of the opinions about it. On the one hand, you have the "old school RPG" players who hate the direction the game is going, and on the other hand you have the Hack & Slash junkies who are annoyed with how "RP" keeps getting in the way of the next fight. A lot of the first group HATE how fast travel and a quest compass have become all but unavoidable; a lot of the second group wouldn't play without them. I compare it to those who like a good book and those who like the movie based on the book. Either that, or one group who prefers cake and another group that prefers icing, comparing two cakes: one with tasteless and slightly bitter icing over a rich and moist cake, versus sweet, tasty, and colorful icing on a tasteless lump of dry and stale cake.

The difference is that one of the two is integrated into the game world. As a general rule, making the gameplay systems an actual part of the game world almost always helps to bring the player into the game, with a few obvious exceptions. Talking to someone and paying them a bit of coin to bring you somewhere just does a little more to suspend disbelief than pausing the game, going to the in-game map, and then selecting and confirming a destination in that map.