Thread: Brink: No knife kills?

Brink: No knife kills?

I m sure I will get some flak for posting this comment but i think it's absolute crap that the knife is not a one hit weapon. Why do i say this? Because it's not easy you completely compromise your position to do this because it requires you to get so close to the other player. i dare say it's probably the most difficult way to kill another player and it can be really frustrating especially when you’re caught in the act. This is why it should be a one hit kill the kill is the reward for taking such a risk. it's that simple.

Re: Brink: No knife kills?

I am guessing the one person that voted yes was you. But this game would be on the verge of becoming stupid when everyone is running around insta-killing people with knives. Beside If you stab someone it doesn't necessarily mean they will die. And if they do it won’t be instantaneous, so we are better off they way they put it. Understand that there are points to body types. What you are stating is a knife, on slash, could take down a heavy. Now this idea is unrealistic, that even goes with a medium, a generally buff fellow is not going to die from a cut across the chest. With the flood of lights that I expect to see, CQC will not be a problem, but allowing a OHK because they are fast is silly.

There no one stab kill function in this game. if you got 100% hp the knife wont one stab you. That’s confirmed. however the stab / bash function. the melee attack is also based on the body type. i heavy guy can kill a light with 2 bash i think I m 90% sure I have heard that in an interview. a light guy got less power in his melee attack and therefore is weaker than a heavy guys melee attack. and to do a knife stab you need a empty hand. For example you need to wield a 1 handed weapon such as pistols.

I find no skill in the knife, glare usually knife kills only occur when you accidently run into an enemy. At that moment you both panic and start trying to back away while slashing madly at each other completely forgetting the gun you have, it’s pure luck whoever wins out of the both of them. Honestly I'm glad Splash Damage had the balls to make the less OHKs possible in their game, I love shotguns, and when playing games like Bad Company 2, I just want to face palm when I see that the risk I take from sneaking enemy lines, nailing 2-3 shot on some people is just annihilated by one-button-kill.

Light body types are the only ones that would really benefit the use of a pistol because of their weapon restrictions would be silly to see a heavy not taking his chance to have a minigun and a shotgun/a medium not taking assault rifle and a SMG, even though people who really love pistols would take them. So lights are the ones that would use the most pistols, and that's my point : Lights shouldn't be looking for melee, so if you're going so cut that heavy all sneaky and not killing him fast, you deserve his super killing slap to the face. And you know why light type is unlocked the last.

Knifing in modern games is one of the easiest gimmicks. For some reason people defend it as being hard, or taking skill but you click a button and anyone in front of you instantly dies. It is used in twitch shooters so that CQC doesn't look ridiculous. Knives aren't even instant kills in RL, they are usually the noisiest/drawn out/unpredictable option a soldier has at his disposal. Sorry to burst your action hero and COD influenced bubble but any self respecting game will not have an instant ohk melee.

If I ever became a game dev, melee lunge removal would be one of the first changes I made. I have no issue with melee being in the game, assuming that you don't whip out and put away a knife in under a second for an instant kill. Held knives can be instant-kill, since they are so limiting, but every other melee should be done with the butt of the gun (or whatever part you can, I guess). Melee lunge is one of the things that ruins games for me, along with hit detection. It's nice to see the hit detection getting better, but I haven't played a game yet where the melee was getting better. I sure hope that Brink is it.