Thread: In order to balance campers Brink introduced snipers

In order to balance campers Brink introduced snipers

Does every company just insist on there being noob friendly explosives in every game? Take out noob if you're going to nerf sniping end of story and no, I don’t quick scope or 360 montage useless garbage, but having the ability to 1 shot someone felt so rewarding. And if you missed your shot, you were simply mowed down by mp40s. To me, that where it shows that skill>gun used, but sadly, noob friendly companies don’t sell too well with those types of games, so they listen to the outcry of the few, and wonder why their fan base dwindles.

Re: In order to balance campers Brink introduced snipers

I like how you complain about a typical one hit kill weapon, "snipers" (which aren't even actual snipers - hence their category of light rifle) aren't one hit kills, yet you assume that grenade launchers are. They aren't - their primary use is as a crowd control mechanism via knocking people off of their feet. And sure, while you may have felt nice killing someone across the map with one shot, I doubt the victim felt quite so nice. Richard Ham actually said something similar.

Ok so I was a little confused by this and this seems like a good place to ask. I know you can be down (can't move, can do other stuff based on what abilities you bought and can be revived by a medic) and you can be dead (have to wait for the respawn timer to end). but then people say that grenades "knock you over." Do they mean that you get downed if you're close to the grenade, or do they mean you fall over and waste time standing back up. Sorry if its a dumb question but people keep using knock out and knocked over and killed, its just a little confusing.

I think that they don't award xp for either of those things, they just award xp for damage, that way, players can still get rewarded just as much as the finishing guys, even if they're softening lots of enemies up and leaving their teammates to finish them. Also please don't be too hard on this thread starter guys, not everyone can be bothered to go through seas of text and watch all the videos, and considering SD is trying to make the game accessible with Challenges, ranked servers and lots of on-screen hints, let's not be hostile and ruin it.

The thing about the noob tube (as it is affectionately called) is that they put it into CoD so less skilled players would have a fighting chance against the pros. and judging by the amount of grief it gets, it worked. But in Brink, things work differently. Hip firing is a viable option, players can take more hits before dying and grenades really don't do that much damage, they aren't for killing in Brink. grenades are meant to shock and confuse players, to make killing them in other ways a little easier. For example, you have limitless grenades in Brink, but they’re on a cool down. That right there should be a hint that you are not in Cansas anymore.

Well, there a difference between snipers and noob-tubers, and it is IMO a very big difference. Many snipers are very good at what they do. You could even call them griefers. Being a successful sniper takes a lot of skill. The noob-tube, by contrast, is a beginner’s tactic. The tube is an equalizer, helping newbie’s stand on a sort of equal footing with the pros. Players grow into sniping, but grow out of noob-tubing, so I don't think you can compare them.

You didn't ask a question, you made a bad assumption. As stated before, Grenade Launchers don't have enough damage to be used as a killing tool, and knockdowns are only momentary and the knocked down player can still shoot while on the ground. The Medium version only has a single round so it needs to be reloaded after every shot and the Heavy's auto launcher is being wielded by the fat guy so you can run away anyway.

The grenades do not, last I heard, explode on impact. They bounce, then explode a short time afterwards. This makes it very difficult to use them as direct weapons, since you can't just see someone, aim in their general direction, and blast them to bits, ala CoD. Think more like the Halo Reach grenade launcher, which was actually rather difficult to use if you could not aim it properly. And even then it still won't kill instantly, even if you do hit someone. You will need to hit someone with at least two grenades to incapacitate them, and at least two more to kill them. Considering that the Lobster has to reload after every shot, and the EZ is contrary to its name, not exactly speedy, the launchers are almost always going to be for support fire only. You won't be winning many firefights with your launcher.