Thread: Parental controls in Xbox 360 console

Parental controls in Xbox 360 console

Hello guys, I have recently purchased Microsoft Kinect sensor along with Xbox 360 console for my younger brother. I have heard about something called parental controls in Xbox 360 from few of my friends. But I don’t have any knowledge about what it is, what it actually do and how to activate and deactivate he. So I would like to know more about the parental controls in my Xbox 360. If anyone having any knowledge on this issue then please feel free to share your suggestions with me. It might prove to be very helpful to me. Thank you in advance.

Re: Parental controls in Xbox 360 console

You can easily manage and customize which games, movies and others can be accessed in your Xbox 360 console. You can use the Xbox 360 parental controls feature to perform this action. With the help of the parental controls in Xbox 360 console you can decide which games can be played, you can watch which movies or TV shows, who can use the console and for how much time and whether someone can access the Xbox LIVE or not. Parental controls is mainly divided into two categories:
    1. Console controls
    2. Online safety and privacy

You can find Console controls in the Family Settings or Family Center area on your Xbox 360 console. And if you are unable to see the Family center or family settings than probably you are using an older version of software in your console. So it is recommended to update your Xbox 360 console firmware software by visiting the official website of Xbox. For any more information on how to update the software of your Xbox 360 console I would suggest you to visit the following thread -- What are the different ways to update Xbox 360 console software in our Forum.

You can turn on the console controls by following the below steps:
    1. Start your Xbox 360 console and click on My Xbox option.
    2. Then click on the Family Center or Family Settings option. The option depends on the type of membership the user have in Xbox LIVE.
    3. Choose the Console Safety option.
    4. To start the Console Safety feature, you need to select the ‘On’ option.
    5. The console will prompt to insert the 4-button pass code to turn on console safety feature. You can use your controller to do the same.
    6. Select the Save and Exit option.

You can find the following parental control options inside the Console safety option.
    • Ratings and Content: By using this feature the user can restrict games and videos played in the console based on the content’s rating. You can also decide whether the unrated or implicit content can be played in your Xbox 360 console or not.
    • Family Timer: By using this, the user can control the limit of time that each of user is aasigned to use the console daily or weekly.
    • Xbox LIVE Access: It will allow the user to decide which member can connect to the Xbox LIVE from the current Xbox 360 console.
    • Xbox LIVE Membership Creation: This allows the user to decide which member cab create membership in Xbox LIVE by using the Xbox 360 consol.

Make sure that you change your pass code from time to time. You can change your pass code by following the below few procedure.
    • Start your console and go to My Xbox > Family Center or Family Settings
    • Click on Console Safety, and insert the 4-button pass code which is used by the user
    • Now go to Change Pass Code option and click on the Change Pass Code again.
    • Enter the new 4-button pass code and re-insert it again it to confirm the password.
    • Choose Done and then Select Save and Exit option in your console.

You can use the Family Timer if you wish to limit the total time that your family members can use your Xbox 360 console. This time limit can be either on daily basis or according to weekly basis. The remaining time can be easily checked by hitting the Guide button on your Xbox controller. The console will close automatically as soon as the assigned time gets completed. The console can’t be used again until the Family Timer is reset to the next day or week. You can set the family timer by following these steps:
    1. Start the console and go to My Xbox > Family Center or Family Settings > Console Safety.
    2. Choose the On option to Switch on the Console Safety.
    3. Enter the 4-button pass code. You can use the controller to do so.
    4. Now choose Family Timer.
    5. Here you can choose either Daily or Weekly timer.
    6. Scroll down to the time period and with the help of the left stick, you can easily increase or decrease the time period.
    7. Once you have selected the appropriate time, click on Continue.
    8. Finally Select the Save and Exit option.

One of the most important feature of Family Timer is that when it is ON, it keeps on sending notification at 1 hour, 30 minutes, 15 minutes, 5 minutes before the set time gets completed. Thus, this will give the player enough warning about the time out, thus helping him/her to save the game on time. If you are having the pass code then you can extend the time or you can completely disable the timer.
    You can add time or suspend the Family Timer by following the below instructions:
    • When a Family Timer notification appears, the user needs to press the Guide button in order to make the Family Timer options to appear.
    • When prompted, you have to enter your 4-button pass code with the help of your controller.
    • Select any from the given option; to add some more time to the existing one, suspend the timer completely, or to turn off the console.