Thread: How to get DIGITAL 5.1 audio in games?

How to get DIGITAL 5.1 audio in games?

At my home is a nice Dolby 5.1 digital receiver (Sony STR-db840qs) including 5.1 speaker right next to my servant, which provides a creative sb audigy 2 for enough crack. I have connected all via a digital coaxial cable. if I'm from the DVD drive of my computer to play a dvd, powerdvd directs the ac3 sound true to the configuration undecoded over the spdif to the receiver, which decodes it. I want to achieve the same play that support 5.1 sound. Unfortunately, not only give the ac3 signal of yourself or ignore the spdif because getting out is doing nothing here (which means I have been playing despite horny conditioning only in stereo: ( . Really need an analog transmission to the boxing game? In that case I would need the analog outputs for speaker at the soundcard with the 5.1 analog input connected to the receiver? or is there a solution, my spdif output to make the play palatable?

Re: How to get DIGITAL 5.1 audio in games?

If you want to have 5.1 sound in games, you have to give you better or worse, the cable clutter and individual analog outputs to the sound card with your receiver. The only "sound card", the Dolby Surround / Dolby Digital encoding on the fly can and it allows one computer and receiver (or Dolby Digital decoder) to connect to a single (optical) cable, and nevertheless enjoy the benefits of multi-channel -to get sound, the nForce MCP-T chip, which is found only on certain nForce / nForce 2 motherboards. An alternative would otherwise perhaps have the AC3Filter. To what extent it affects, but on games, I do not know.

Yes, but depends on the game and your decoder.

1st .. The game can set the tone as a digital 5.1 (AC3) output, then adjust so in the game (with DVD player software is usually called the SPDIF passthrough). The rest is as before, the digital signal will not affect output via SPDIF and decoded by your decoder.

2nd .. the game is only 5.1 analog output, then adjust so in the game. Now, however, not SPDIF output but use the analog outputs (also in the sound card settings corresponding set) and the decoder of course the analog inputs. The decoder then acts only as a pure amplifier (of course, only if your decoder has analog inputs).

3rd .. If the game can not have a digital output or your decoder has no analog inputs or you want any additional wiring left to do is to actually always present in AC-3 decoder to use stereo-mix function, but only simulated 5.1.

Well, if you already got a MoBo with an MCP-T chip and optical SPDIF output, then I would really advise you to try this again. Although such an optical cable is not cheap. You too must be aware that the SoundStorm 3.0/EAX not EAX 4.0. But the Dolby Digital encoding on the fly gets the out again. Especially since I've never really not seen a big difference between EAX 2.0 and EAX 3.0 (with the sole exception of Army Ops). If sound is possible in a game the choice for 5.1, it means only that you can tell the game that more than two speakers (stereo) are connected to the computer. With the technology of Dolby or DTS that has nothing to do. If you select this setting now, knows the game that it can divide the noise on different stereo channels, namely one stereo front and one stereo back, and on the third stereo output is then the signal for the Zentralbox and the subwoofer output.

Now there are also games in which themselves or at least their packaging, the Dolby Digital logo denounces (Prince of Persia, Army Ops and soon probably Doom 3). This is also and above all a marketing ploy, because true Dolby Digital (AC-3) can not exist in games! AC-3 is a technology from Dolby that exist in a single stream that allows data from six separate audio channels bundle (front left, front right, rear left, rear right, center, LFE). These six channels as well as the AC-3 signal however must be mixed in advance ready! As in games is never predictable, however, when and where that sound is sound, it is therefore not possible that the game is mixed in AC-3. The only thing that really could thus be in Dolby Digital in games would be just the soundtrack.

Dolby, however, have set about to bring its technology on the games and console market. This calls would end up with a chip that is able to encode the AC-3 signal on the fly, and that's on the PC market in the MCP-T nVidia. This is the south bridge on the nForce MoBo, which includes the Audio Processing Unit (APU) provides. So if now indicates a game, it would support Dolby Digital, the only means that it is usually a 5.1 speaker configuration and support to the above-mentioned technique, namely, the Dolby Digital encoding on the fly using.

I use the technique of nForce2 Chipsates and have connected my Harman Kardon AVR 3500 on the Coaxial digital Receiver. My brother has anliche technology, also Nforce2 but he had previously ne Audigy and was with the sound of Nforce2 not so good (slight noise and light bass), he has now brought ne Audigy2. Even in games the sound was not like the Audigy best example as Doom3, the onboard sound really comes from all the boxes but something about the location of the individual tones are not optimal. As compared to the Audigy sound much clearer and everything is to locate better. As for me the most about the "Sound Storm Chip" disturbing.