Thread: Starcraft 2 fried my iMac GPU

Starcraft 2 fried my iMac GPU

I have an Apple iMac system and using it from the last few months , and is serving me the best, Also i am a big fond of playing games and the thing here is that recently i have installed the Star craft 2 on to my system and it seems to me that the installation was successful but it wasn't infact as i started running the game immediately my system was turned off and also no response from it , And i am worried that it must have burned my video card, i ma using the nvidia 8800gs, Ans i have the 4 GB of Ram and also the hard disk is of 250 GB, I don't know why this problem came , and really have no idea to fix it, And now the situation is that when i start my system it shows me a black screen nothing else, Please help me in this case, and please let me know whether my video card is affected by it or not .

Re: Starcraft 2 fried my iMac GPU

It seems to me that you need the safe booting for your system and that is the reason why i will suggest you to do a Safe Boot.If you're using Mac OS X 10.2 or later, you can start up your computer in Safe Mode, which includes an automatic disk check and repair. If you're using Mac OS X 10.1.5 or earlier, skip to the next section. A Safe Boot, which starts up your computer into Safe Mode, may allow you to start up your computer successfully using a reduced version of the system software. To do this, follow these steps:
    • Start up in Safe Mode.
    • After the system has fully started up, restart your computer again normally.
    • If the computer successfully restarts, you do not need to do any more troubleshooting. If the issue persists, try Disk Utility.

You can solve this problem by Disk utility, because it seems to me that there is not enough space or the space is consumed by the unwanted files. So you need to perform a small operation that is nothing but the Disk utility and you can do this one i the following manner:
    • First of all start the Mac OS X Install disc And install the disc in to your system.
    • Once you are done with it then you have to restart your computer
    • When the computer finishes starting then what you have to do is just choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu.
    • After that what you have to do is just click the first Aid tab.
    • Once you will click on the tab then you will go to the next window and further you have to select the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon.
    • And then you have to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
    • After all this thing select the repair utility which will repair the system.

I hope that this one will help you for sure.

I think that you have to use the disk repair utility because it is the only way that will help you out in this case since the operating system here has lost all its subordinate files and i feel that you have to do the repair test as soon as possible, If you are not aware how to do it then you can also do it through "fcsk" command. The FCSK command is nothing but the command which has to be run to repair the disk, For this first of you have to start the system in the safe mode and then try out running this one. There are three situation in which you have to use the FCSK command:
    1. If you are not able to start your system.
    2. If you are not able to hear any sound
    3. And if the LED light indicator of the system is not working or it is off

I have gone through your problem and it seems to me that the video card of your system has been damaged, And in such situation what you have to do is just replace the card, The other thing here is that the card that you were using to run this particular game was not enough , Because the Star craft 2 requires an high efficiency video card and that to with more more memory space, so one thing that i want you to do here is that just replace the old card with the brand new one and that to with more memory and high video efficiency.
    With great power comes great responsibility - Spiderman's Uncle

The Greatest Sig Ever

I was also facing the similar problem a few days back and it seems to me that you are also dealing wit the same, The most important thing that you have to take care is that if the screen is showing nothing or it is blacking out then there may be two reasons. The first one is that the Ram is got corrupted , and the Second reason is that the operating system may also have lost its subordinate files, So what you have to do i this case trey and change the ram of your system and install a new one on to it, If the problem is solved then its ok or if it is not then you have to repair the operating system of yours.

It seems to me that the problem in your system can be solved, and i think that i have an appropriate solution for it, The thing here is that if you need all your settings then you have to follow the follow the below steps:
    • First of all remove all the power cords that are attached to your system.
    • Now after few minutes again attach the cords as they where earlier make one thing sure that they are connected properly.
    • Then you have to disconnect all the external devices that are attached to your system.
    • Then you have to reset the PMU and SMC.
    • After that you have to reset all the settings, And i hope that this will resolve your problem.