Thread: Which Linux OS is best for gaming

Which Linux OS is best for gaming

I am a Windows user for a long time. Now being frustrated by virus and other bug problems, I have decided to switch to Linux operating system. Which is the best linux distribution for gaming? I will be installing on this computer.

Re: Which Linux OS is best for gaming

I only know about Gentoo which has a lot of gamers in it's user base. Gentoo is a free operating system based on either Linux or FreeBSD that can be automatically optimized and customized for just about any application or need. With Portage, Gentoo can become an ideal secure server, development workstation, professional desktop, gaming system, embedded solution or something else whatever you need it to be.

I have not tried a lot of linux distributions personally. But what I am using at my home is Fedora 12. I never had any problems installing or running any games on this linux distro. I don't know about others if they are also providing all the game support. By the way which games will you be playing on your computer?

I would recommend to go for Ubuntu. Its the best choice for gaming on linux distribution. It also provides you with a community where you can discuss about your problem, if any, which is not the case with Fedora. However, if you are looking for some commercial distros then Mepis would be better alternative. MEPIS was designed as an alternative to SUSE Linux, Red Hat Linux, and Mandriva Linux considering the requirement and ease of average users.

The performance of gaming doesn't depend on the linux distribution that you have but the tweak that you do on your system. Yes, all the linux distribution have the same effect when it comes to gaming on linux. The tweak that you do really affects your performance on a particular game. However, if you really want some suggestions then I would suggest to go for Slackware. It includes the latest popular software while retaining a sense of tradition, providing simplicity and ease of use alongside flexibility and power.

All the distribution is pretty much the same. I know windows is ideal for gaming and not all windows games will run in linux but there is no meaningful difference between any of the major distros when it comes to gaming. Gentoo is the best gaming platform. However, if you would like to have some other linux variation then you can have it installed also.

I don't think Windows is the best platform for gaming. I have heard that linux mint is a more and better version of ubuntu. Is this correct? Does the gaming experience differ on both of them? I have heard that we can have better performance if are having lesser memory. How true is it?