Thread: GTA IV on GeForce GT 325M problem

GTA IV on GeForce GT 325M problem

I am unable to play GTA IV on my Dell laptop. This laptop is running on Intel Core i7, GeForce GT 325M and 4GB RAM. In spite of having so much of RAM I still have 60 MB of memory for my game compared to 1 GB what my friends are getting. Is this happening because of optimus technology? I even observed the similar problem when I tried to play other games like Far Cry 2, since those didn't even know if I have any card and so it uses my onboard card for the games which finally results me in either low fps or no game play. I would also like to tell you that I have Windows 7 64 bit installed on my computer. Do you know what is the actual problem over here and how could I solve it?

Re: GTA IV on GeForce GT 325M problem

Yeah I think Hybrid SLI/Optimus technology is actually the cause of the problem in your case. I would like to ask you some of the points: does this happen to you only when you use your laptop only on battery? Did you tried playing those games when your laptop was directly connected to AC outlet? Did you notice such problem in such situation?

Basically, in mobile hybrid graphics operates only when your laptop is plugged in to an AC outlet. So in such situation, your graphics card will come into operation and handle graphics processing, but if you are out of the battery the discrete card will shut it off and the laptop will allow only integrated graphics to handle the graphics part. This is so because if you are shorten in power then most of the time laptops don't require the graphics power/memory. This is the main reason you can notice such problems as you stated in your post. This is how mobile hybrid graphics technology designed.

Obviously I am playing GTA IV with power cable plugged in. There is not even a power cut out or some kind of failure over here. The laptop is getting a constant power from my AC adapter. I think the problem is that it is not able to recognize the VRAM. Nvidia should have some driver or patch to solve this problem.

Ok in that case, I think you need to reboot your computer since moving between graphics card (integrated and standalone) generally require you to do that. It will not automatically move by itself. There may also be the chances that your GeForce GT 325M card is not getting proper power and because of which system is not allowing to handle graphics processing. Thus your game will not be able to detect your graphics card. Just check the power connections and if possible try to replace the cables. This could also be the problem of graphic card which is either faulty or dead. Use some other graphics card and see if that works. You can even try to reinstall the drivers just to make sure if that's not the case.

This is definitely a software or hardware problem because I have the same problem in almost every game PES 2010, Fallout 3, GTA IV, Far Cry 2, COD 6 etc. The annoying part is that there are lot of things on the NVIDIA optimus panel settings and so I don't know what to change. I tried to modify some of them but nothing works. I think NVIDIA should look into this matter as soon as possible.

Hello anthony, I have the same problem with optimus.. my laptop:

Asus k42j
    Intel i3 350m (2.6ghz)
    Nvidia Geforce 310M 1gig
    2gigs ddr3 memory ram (willupgrade to 4 gigs next week)

I am running GTA 4, at first it won't open, i don't know now why its opening but with very very poor graphics. Very lowest, Then when i go to graphics settings, it shows me a warning that graphics memory used will almost exceed my available graphics memory, about 200mb.. I think its using the chipset, THis means my nvidia is not being detected. I have other games and i don't have any idea if its using the chipset or the nvidia..

Here are my games and how it goes:

Starcraft 2: low to medium settings
    Dirt2: will run smoothly on Medium Settings but only on 1024 by 768 res (can handle high but will lag)
    NBA2k10: Most are medium settings but for me the frame rate is slow, i want it smooth
    Left for DEad: highest setting running smoothly - but sometimes the games will suddenly close, i guess memory problem, thats why i will upgrade.

Anthony, please help me if you already fixed your problem with optimus...

thanks you...