Thread: Windows 7 with opengl? (CS 1.6)

Windows 7 with opengl? (CS 1.6)

Please help me in solving this issue. I have a desktop computer which previously had Windows Xp installed on it. Recently I updated the operating system on the computer to Windows 7 64 bit. But after upgrading the operating system on the computer, I am not able to play Counter Strike 1.6 on it.The graphic card which I am using is an Nvidia 9600GT. I am not able to understand if the problem is due to the operating system or the game. A friend of mine suggested that the problem can be due to openGL support of Windows 7, so I want to know how to solve this issue. Any help about the issue is highly appreciated.

Re: Windows 7 with opengl? (CS 1.6)

Have you configured the graphic card properly? All the NVIDIA cards which are available are preconfigured to run all the high end graphics applications. These settings sometime conflict with the graphic settings of the game. For such games, the graphic card has to be configured again. To configure the graphic card, Right click on desktop and select graphic properties. Click on Manage 3D settings. Change the Flipping policy to Blit. Force off the Anistropic filtering, Vertical sync and Triple buffering of the graphic card and save the settings. Reboot the system and see if the game works properly or not.

Try running the game in compatibility mode and see if the game works. Compatibility mode of Windows helps the user to run the applications of older versions of operating system on the new version of the operating system. To run the game in compatibility mode, right click on the game icon and select Properties. Select the option which says "Run the application in compatibility mode" and select the Windows XP Service pack 2. Also select the option which says "Run the application as power user". Click on OK and start the game, see if the game works on the computer or not.

You will not be able to play the game in OpenGL mode while using Windows 7. Windows 7 does not support OpenGl renderer for games and hence CS will work only in software mode by default. To play Counter strike on Windows 7 computer using good graphics renderer, you will have to use D3D. To change the graphic renderer, start the game and then click on Options. Click on Options and select Video tab. Now select D3D in the graphics renderer tab. Also select 32bit for graphics filtering and Click on Apply. The game will restart in D3D mode and now will not give any problems while playing.

As suggested I changed the graphics renderer for Counter strike to D3D and the game started to work but now the game skips some frames while playing due to which I am not able to play properly. The gameplay is very slow and glitchy. Is this because of the graphic card? How do I improve the performance of the game? Please suggest some solutions.

The game play is glitchy in Direct 3D mode because your monitor is not able to capture all the video signal sent by the Video card. In Direct 3D mode, the graphic card will give full 100fps output which will work only if the monitor is able to resolve it. If the monitor is not able to reproduce the signal, the gameplay would be glitchy. Try and limit the fps of the game and see if the game works properly. To limit the fps of the game. Start the game, Go to console and type fps_max 75. Now see if the performance of the game improves or not.

The graphics drivers on the system must not be updated or working properly due to which you are facing such problems. All the devices which are connected to the computer require a set of drivers to be installed on the computer. If the appropriate drivers are not installed on the computer then the device will not work properly. Therefore update the graphics driver ands see if the game works properly.