Thread: Unable to start Mass Effect 2

Unable to start Mass Effect 2

Hi,
    I had played Mass Effect 2 before on my computer many times. My system configuration is Quad Core Processor with 8 GB RAM support and 1GB Nvidia GPU. Before I had installed the game in a external SSD drive. Now I have to return the external drive and I had installed the game on my D drive. But now the game is not working. I am not able to figure out the issue here.

Re: Unable to start Mass Effect 2

I had uninstalled the game first completely and then re-installed same properly. This happens when I had applied Patch 1.01 and the game started crashing. I had also update my drivers to the latest one. Now the game works fines. It will only work if you can proper remove all the files of the game from your computer and then install them back again.

Just update the newest drivers for your Graphic support. I faced similar issue in Left 4 Dead 2 where the game stopped working when I moved the actual game location. After removing all old files of the game I had re-installed it and updated with some latest patch. The game now works fine. I think this similar solution can help you also for this purpose.

If the game is not properly removed then this problem occurs. Even if you remove the game there are some files which stays in the Program files and some left registry entries of the game. You can delete them manually. For the registry thing you can use any registry repair tool or CCleaner to delete old unusable registry keys. Just delete the Bioware folder.

That is right. The remaning files and folders of the game cause it fail to work. For this you have to first manually remove all the files an folders left by un-installation process. For the registry thing click on start and type regedit. In the registry editor follow the path HKEY LOCAL MACHINE > SOFTWARE > BIOWARE > Mass effect 2. Delete all the values from here. Reboot your pc.

Checkout that you are logged in as administrator and then run the game. You can do the same by right clicking on the shortcut icon and choosing run as administrator. Other thing checkout your firewall system. Many times the game .exe file is blocked by them due to which the game does not run. If you are removing the game then remove from Control Panel > Add Remove Program.