Thread: Team fortress 2 crashes in Windows 7

Team fortress 2 crashes in Windows 7

Hello, I have been playing Team fortress 2 on my old computer running on Windows Xp without any problems. I bought a new computer which has Intel quad core processor and a Nvidia graphic card. The operating system installed on it is Windows 7. The problem is I am not able to play Team fortress 2 on the new computer. Team fortress 2 crashes in Windows 7 when the game is started. I cant understand why the game is not running and hence need your help. Any suggestions/solutions regarding the topic are more than welcome. Thanks in advance.

Re: Team fortress 2 crashes in Windows 7

Windows 7 does not support all the games which are supported by Windows Xp operating system. If the game is not supported by the operating system then the game will either not run or will give some problems while running. The list of all the games which are supported by Windows 7 is available on the official website of Microsoft. Check the list and see if the game which you are trying to play is in the list. If the game is not in the list then there is nothing much you can do about it.

Check if the display drivers are installed and working on the computer. All the devices which are connected to the computer require a set of drivers which are to be installed on the computer. If the appropriate drivers for the device are not installed then the device will not work properly. To check if the drivers are installed and working properly on the computer, right click on My computer and select Device manager. Highlight the display adapter and check if there are any caution signs. Follow the troubleshooting procedure if there are any caution signs. Try updating the drivers if the troubleshooting does not help.

Multi core processors are not typically meant for gaming. Multicore processors have more than one processing core which start processing the applications together which may create problem while running gaming application. You will have to disable all the extra processing cores while running the gaming application. To disable the extra processing cores, start the game and open the Task manager. Go to processes and right click on the process of the game. Select Set affinity and remove the check mark from all the extra processing cores and click on OK. Resume the game and see if the problem continues.

You can try running the game in compatibility mode. All the versions which are released after Windows Xp operating system have compatibility mode. Compatibility mode can be used to run the applications which used to run in the older versions of the operating system without any problems in latest version of the operating system. To run the game in compatibility mode, right click on Game icon and select properties. Open the compatibility tab and check mark the "Run this application in compatibility mode" and select Windows XP service pack 2. Save the settings and see if the game works properly.
    With great power comes great responsibility - Spiderman's Uncle

The Greatest Sig Ever

I think the settings of the graphic card are conflicting with the graphic settings of the game and hence you are facing such problems. Nvidia graphic cards are preconfigured to run all the high end graphics editing softwares. These settings sometimes create problem while running some games. Try configuring the graphic card again and then see if the game is working properly or not. Open the graphic properties of the card and then select Manage 3D settings. Now disable the following features of the graphic card
    • Triple buffering
    • Anistropic filtering
    • Vertical sync

and save the settings. Hopefully the game will run without any problems.