Thread: Cannot play Dawn of War II on Windows 7

Cannot play Dawn of War II on Windows 7

I used to play Dawn of War II on my computer which was previously installed with Windows XP operating system. Recently I upgraded the operating system on my computer to Windows 7 operating system and now the game does not run. When the game is started, it shows that the application will start but it terminates midways. The computer has Nvidia 8900GT graphic card which also has been added recently. I cant figure out why I Cannot play Dawn of War II on Windows 7 and hence need your help in solving the issue. Please help.

Re: Cannot play Dawn of War II on Windows 7

As you have upgraded the operating system on the computer you will have to reinstall the game again on Windows 7 inorder to play the game. The files of the game which are required to run the game on Windows 7 are different from the files of the game which are required to run it on Windows XP. Hence the game which is installed on Windows Xp will not run in Windows 7 after upgradation. Therefore to be able to play the game you will have to reinstall the game on Windows 7. After reinstalling the game, see if the game is working on Windows 7.

I think there must be some problems with the version of the game which is installed on the computer. All the applications which are installed on the computer, have lot of files which are associated to it. If any of the files which is associated to the game is missing or corrupt on the system then the game will not work. The only solution to this problem is to replace all the files which are corrupt and missing on the computer. Uninstall the current installed version of the game and remove all the files/keys from the computer. Once all the traces of the games are removed, reinstall the game and then check if it works properly or not.

Windows 7 does not support all the games which are supported by the Windows XP operating system. If the game is not supported by the operating system then the game will either not run at all or will give some problems while running. The list of all the games which are supported by Windows 7 operating system is available on the official website. Check the list and see if the game which you are trying to play is listed in it or not. If the game is not listed then there is nothing much you can do about it.

The configuration of the graphic card must be conflicting with the graphic settings of the game because of which the game is not working properly. Nvidia cards are preconfigured to run all the high end graphics editing software. These settings sometimes conflict with the game settings which results in game not running properly. Configuring the graphic card again will solve the problem. Open the graphic properties and select Manage 3D settings. Now disable all the following features of the graphic card :-
    1. Triple Buffering.
    2. Anistropic filtering.
    3. Vertical sync.
    After disabling, save all the settings and then reboot the computer. Once done see if the game is working properly.

Try running the game in compatibility mode. All the operating systems which are released after Windows XP have compatibility mode. Compatibility mode helps us in running the applications of the earlier version of Windows successfully in the new version of Windows. To start the game in compatibility mode, Right click on the game and select properties. Go to compatibility mode and check mark on "Run this application in compatibility mode" and select Windows XP operating system. Now save and apply the settings. Hope the game runs properly.