Thread: Problems while playing Morrowind

Problems while playing Morrowind

Hello there, I have a desktop computer which is running on Windows Vista operating system. Recently I installed Morrowind: The elders scrolls III on the computer and installed both the expansions of the game. The problem is whenever I start the game i get the following error message "Failed to load snowflake:Meshes\BM_Snow_01.nif" because of which the game does not work. I cant figure out what is causing such problem and hence need your help in solving the issue. Therefore if anybody else is facing similar Problems while playing Morrowind then please share some information.

Re: Problems while playing Morrowind

Windows Vista does not support all the games which are supported by Windows Xp operating system. If the operating system does not supports the game then the game will either not run at all or will give some errors while running. The list of all the game which are supported by Windows Vista is available on the official website. Check the list and see if the game which you are trying to play is in the list or not. If the game is not supported, then try and run the game in compatibility mode. To run the game in compatibility mode, Right click on the game icon and select properties. Go to compatibility tab and then check mark "Run the application in compatibility mode" and select Windows XP. Save and apply the settings. Run the game and see if the problem persists.

By looking at the problem I am certain that it is related to the expansion which you have installed on the game. I faced similar problems when I installed Bloodmoon expansion on Morrowind. The game did not start and gave similar file missing error while executing. To solve the problem I uninstalled the expansion pack from the computer and checked if Morrowind worked properly or not. After checking, I installed the expansion pack again on the Morrowind and I checked if all the files which are required to run the game are copied on the hard drive or not. After reinstalling the expansion pack, the problem was solved. Hope it solve's yours too.

Thanks for replying to the post really fast. I checked out the game compatibility list and found out that Morrowind is supported by Windows Vista operating system. Therefore game not running due to incompatibility is ruled out. As suggested I uninstalled the expansion pack from the game and tried to run it. But it still gives the same error. So are there any more troubleshooting methods? Please help.

You can try and uninstall the entire game and then reinstall it.I think the expansion pack must have modified certain files of the game due to which the basic game is also not running. The only way to solve such problem is to reinstall the entire game. Uninstall the game and then remove all the files/keys associated to the game from the computer. Once all the traces of the games are removed from the computer, reinstall the game. Check if the game works. If the game works properly then install the expansion pack from some other installation disk and see if th game works.

As suggested I uninstalled the game completely and then reinstalled the game and it worked fine. Later I found that the installation disk which I was using to install the expansion pack was corrupt and hence the game was not working. I borrowed another install disk of the expansion pack from my friend and it worked to. Now the game runs without any problems.