Thread: Fallout 3 graphics stuttering

Fallout 3 graphics stuttering

Hi,

I got a new computer and then I installed Fallout 3 (CD). The installation is good, but the game does not start.

Here are the problems :
    In the launcher (in windowed mode) I get no resolutions to show in the menu. If I "Play" then I get a Windows error: Failed to initialize renderer, Your display does not support the selected resolution. Please set a different resolution in Fallout 3's Launcher under 'Display Settings'. "

The following things I tried:
    • Other settings in the launcher eg Windows Mode
    • Different resolutions (In Windowed Mode)
    • ASUS Gamer OSD and Smart Doctor delete
    • Last patch of Fallout 3 install

My system configuration :

Motherboard : Asus P6T Deluxe, S1366, X58, 6xDDR3, PCIe, ATX

graphics card : Asus EAH4870X2 HDTI 2x1GB, 2xDVI, PCIe

Processor : Intel Core i7 920

And I use Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit

Does anyone have a solution for my problem?

Re: Fallout 3 graphics stuttering

Same here, I get only an error. Sometimes it starts and crashes later. Specs: See sig - icm Windows Vista 64 and the latest WHQL video drivers.

Apparently there are many problems in Fallout 3:

1.) Fallout 3 Installer installs an older version on Visual C + + 2005 that appears to affect the way the vidcard driver communicates with The Game.

2.) Fallout 3 Installer installs a Beta release of DOTNETFX3.0 (. NET Framework 3.0). For users of. NET Framework 3.0 SP1 or even SP2 (Service Pack of the Framework not the OS), upon restarting their system (when changes take place), their game will be quite unstable.
    Users of. NET 3.5 or Vista should have even more random crashes.

3.) Fallout 3 Installer installs a non Plug'n Play DRM device manager (driver but not a manager) that does not like any 3rd party codecs (ie K-Lite, WinAMP, etc) and will usually see a CTD when a Hardware codec comes online. This usually occurs when interactive audio (client controlled speech) initializes (ie walking to daddy baby).

4. Fallout 3 Installer installs SecuROM Root kit as well as 8 non hidden Plug'n play virtual drivers. Owners with more than one optical drive or a sata drive may encounter random drive access issues. Also, Imaging software or any software that may use its own ASPI drive (ie Nero, Roxio, Daemon, ISO, etc.) will have one of the 8 virtual drivers causing the system to do a random CTD. Reason why clients using a cracked EXE do not experience the same volume or CTD as those who bought The Game. However, the SecuROM root kits are still on the system and active. Once the SecuROM is also purged from the system, 60% of the crashes disappear. Unfortunately, they must remain on the system in order to play The Game as they are part of the EULA.

5.) Fallout 3 also has its own built in MP3 codec coupled to its DRM to protect mp3's on the DVD (in game). Unfortunately, the codec was never fully tested with hardware decoders like those of an X-FI. This can be varied by the lack of a hardware audio switch in The Game options.

6.) Fallout 3 has 14 memory leaks that we found. Most are small, but there are a few that are quite large. Some areas of the map, the memory counter just spins at 100 MB / sec. Most memory leaks are around 5 to 10 MB / sec.

7.) Fallout 3 video graphics buffer needs to be adjustable in the options and an automatic purge cache installed for about 512 Mbs cards as well as buffers linked from SLI and CrossFire cards. I've seen areas where names on the screen start to disappear and all you see are "Input Text Here" instead of Vats or range or etc. The cache does not get dumped on some maps. Most games dump their cache folder when a reload occurs. This can be noticed when fast reload occurs from map changes. Most users will just see their graphics card run out of memory (CTD and Stuttering).

8.) Most games were fault free with a basic reload XP Pro SP2, and only critical updates and latest stock drivers. Installed The Game and played it error free for nearly 4 days. Upon a system restart, lots of errors showed up. This means that Fallout 3 significantly changes the operating system. Far beyond all reasonable accounts as you can do with the system in not to play MP3s, watch movies, make a CD or DVD, or play other games.

Have you tried this :

Fallout 3 does seem to have a conflict with FFDShow codecs. You have to either uninstall them from your system or add fallout3.exe to FFDShow audio and video decoders exceptions list. Although you may not know it, FFDShow codecs may be present on your system if you have installed codec packs such as CCCP (Combined Community Codec Pack).

How to add Fallout 3 to FFDShow decoder exceptions list

1. Launch the ffdshow video decoder configuration window. You may access this through the Start menu. If you have installed any codec packs, check the Start menu entries or those. If you cannot find it on the Start menu, right click the ffdshow video decoder (red) icon that appears on the taskbar when a supported video file is playing, and select ffdshow video decoder option from the menu. ffdshow_icon

2. Tick the checkbox in ffdshow Dont use if not already checked

3. Press the edit button that is next to the text field. A new dialog box will pop up. Press the Add button. The Add incompatible executable file dialog box will be displayed. Fallout 3 Browse to the installation directory and locate fallout3.exe file. Select it and press open. Close all currently open dialog boxes by pressing ok.
    (OR you can simply type fallout3.exe at the end of the text field next to 'Do not use ffdshow in "checkbox)

4. Repeat steps 2-3 in ffdshow audio decoder configuration (the blue icon in taskbar) window as well. It is important that you add to fallout3.exe both ffdshow audio and video decoder's expections list.

You can eliminate the Stutter by setting the ifpsclamp settings in the ini file to 60th. This, however, so The Game causes timer to slow down when the frame-rate is below 60fps, or speed up when it's above 60fps. Which means you get SlowMotion under hyper speed and 60fps over 60fps.