Thread: Starcraft freezes on old machine

Starcraft freezes on old machine

Hello, when I play StarCraft on the old machine and also some of the other games my computer freezes. I decided to do a test with Occt to control the graphics card and the CPU and my cpu usage rises to 90-100 %.

I have a computer with the following specs:
    Chip- intel i965 + ICH8-M 800 MHz FSB
    Gpu Nvidia Geforce 8700M GT 512mb
    Cpu T7700 Core 2DUO to 2.4ghz
    RAM 2048MB DDR-II PC2-5300 (667mhz) (dual)
    Hdd seagate 120gb 7200tr/min

Here the problem from the CPU to the graphics problem, both heats up ..
    It is a small pc which is accurately placed on a desk, on a height by 5cm (on sides)
    No ventillation has been grid, no dust, nothing that could cause overheating.
    And therefore I get CPU temperature from 84 ° C on the test Gpu 1 sinon 80°c or 80 ° c
    The result of freezes continues when I am playing the games, and even when I just surf the internet ..
    It's really not normal .. and disappointing to see.

What to do? Waiting for your answers thank you!

Re: Starcraft freezes on old machine

First, I'd make sure you have the newest patch available, here.

If your still having problems. You can always try compatibility mode. Right click the exe button for the program, properties, compatibility.

I'd try Win98 mode first.

Do you have Norton Internet Security? I do, and this exact problem occurs when I try to connect with Starcraft while the firewall is enabled. My solution is to simply eject the CD, click Cancel when the dialog box comes up and then the program connects like normal. I've had this issue ever since I installed NIS, and disabling the firewall does *not* solve the problem for some reason; I have to completely shut down the program if I want Starcraft to connect properly. I also have this problem with Warcraft II: Battle.net Edition and Diablo 1, and I believe it lies with a weird Winsock/Norton issue. All three of those games use Winsock for their connection.

it could be to small a power supply.if you do get a new one be sure its a quality unit.the antec true power trio 650 should run that system fine.

I would suggest a Corsair, Seasonic, or PC Power & Cooling, Thermaltake "toughpower" brand name power supply of AT LEAST the 650 watt range. While a 650 will pull that video card, you will be maxed out if you try to upgrade. Future proof your build and go for a 750 is what I would recommend. I also would not recommend the Antec power supply at this time, they are having some difficulties with their products. In addition, reapply the artic silver.