Thread: Diablo 2 on Mac

Diablo 2 on Mac

So it is me and some friends went on with the game somewhat D2 up to that before too long (very long but still) published D3. But on the newer Macs Nvidia have opted to put a minimum of graphics card called 512. The problem is that D2 uses 256 and therefore can not run on mac.

In return, I can if I start up Fusion and install it, play it almost without any problems.. (there is little mare in and out of the game when Joiner lanes but it is)

But my question is really whether there is anyone know how I can get it installed on the mac part so it works. Because it is pretty tiring having to start the merger up and run it through each time you want to play.

Re: Diablo 2 on Mac

I remember reading a while back about a patch getting released to have Diablo II run on X but I haven't heard much since then. I think it is set to be released soon though.

A patch for Diablo 2 is already available for mac. For this the minimum memory requirement is 128MB. It is downloadable and you can get it from google.

PS: Have you tried Crossover?

You may get some help from this guide posted on some site,
    There is a problem with the drivers Apple included with Mac OS X 10.5.3 (and didn't change in 10.5.4) that, I'm sure many of you have noticed, causes Diablo II and Starcraft to refuse to run on Intel Macs equipped with NVIDIA 8800-class video cards. Interestingly enough, it would seem the video drivers included on the 10.5.2 disc that came with the February 2008 revision MacBook Pros included bits of these 10.5.3 drivers, and thus they were never able to run said games. Furthermore, the 10.5.3 drivers for this same class of video cards caused some kind of video RAM leak that made performance in World of Warcraft drop off steadily as you played. Oh no, whatever shall we do without our Blizzard games?

Fear not, denizens of the forums. For I will show you how to revert to the old drivers we all knew and loved. What caused the problem, you ask? Well, I'm not clever enough to know what went wrong on the WoW front, but the reason Diablo II and Starcraft are affected by the drivers is that they eliminate 256 colour mode for the Mac display, which those two games apparently depend on to start up. Those with affected models should be able to verify this by going to the Displays preference pane.

DISCLAIMER: The following solution involves deleting and replacing sensitive system files. If you are not comfortable with doing such a thing and would rather hope Apple fixes this in an update eventually, turn back now.

Now, the solution. You will need to download the following things:

Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 - This set of graphics drivers from back in the 10.5.2 days were the last ones on the NVIDIA side to actually work with no issues.

Pacifist - This is a nifty program that lets you install only the bits of installer packages that you tell it to.

Now that we have the downloading done, install Pacifist (drag the app to your Applications folder). Then direct a Finder window to /System/Library/Extensions/

In here you will see many files with the extensions .kext, .bundle, .plugin, and who knows what else. The files here include drivers and plugins for said drivers, among other goodies. (And you thought it was only a Windows thing!) Now, direct your attention to the files whose names begin with "GeForce" and the ones whose names begin with "NVDA." Study their names. Learn them. Worship them. The drivers I want you to be looking at have these names:

GeForce.kext
    GeForce2MXGLDriver.bundle
    GeForce3GLDriver.bundle
    GeForce7xxxGLDriver.bundle
    GeForce8xxxGLDriver.bundle
    GeForceFXGLDriver.bundle
    GeForceGA.plugin
    GeForceVADriver.bundle

NVDANV10Hal.kext
    NVDANV20Hal.kext
    NVDANV30Hal.kext
    NVDANV40Hal.kext
    NVDANV50Hal.kext
    NVDAResman.kext

Now mount LeopardGraphicsUpdate1.0.dmg by double-clicking it. Do NOT go through with the .pkg installation by double-clicking the installer within. Head over to the new mounted disk image and right click on the .pkg file inside. Open it with Pacifist. There will be a blurb on how you should donate to the project, another on how to use it, and then you can use it as you like. Once you're using the program, in the "Package contents" tab, navigate into /System/Library/Extensions and highlight all the files with the same names as those you memorised (you can highlight multiple items in Mac OS X by command-clicking subsequent items, and the stuff in between won't get highlighted as well).

Now head back into that Finder window open to /System/Library/Extensions on your hard drive. Move to your Desktop/wherever that's not in that folder or delete these, the bad, faulty versions on your hard drive (but don't empty trash just yet in case something goes wrong and you want to put them back).

Once this deed is done, go back over to Pacfist. Make sure those exact same files with the names of those you deleted are highlighted, and click the "Install" button at the topleft part of the window. An installation should go through and be completed. Restart your computer, repair disk permissions if you want to be really sure nothing's out of place, and try starting up Diablo II or Starcraft. It should work! You'll be able to tell more immediately that it worked by looking in your Display preferencepane and noticing that in the "Colours" dropdpwn menu, 256 colours is a (possibly greyed-out) option.

WoW should also run normally again, and you still have all the great security benefits of being at 10.5.4. Pat yourself on the back; you're done!