Alright, this has not been a long-standing issue, I have run Battlefield 2 and Vista x64 before with no problems. But a recent reinstallation of the OS has shown that this game can no longer run on Vista. Everything else is working, so I'm curious as to why the difficulty - not to mention my son is wanting me to hurry up and join him in online combat. Here's the deal:

I done all of the other suggestive BF2 install/uninstall tricks with no results, so nothing there. Symptoms: the application starts, shows the splash screen, and just as it is loading the intro video... Crashes to desktop with no error. I go into Event Viewer (the only hint of what the problem could be) and get this after the app crashes:

The Desktop Window Manager was unable to start because composition was disabled by a running application

A request to disable the Desktop Window Manager was made by process (BF2.exe)

These events are listed separately, but are the only result of this crashed application. Can anyone tell anything from these events? Why would Desktop Window Manager have beef with Battlefield 2 but no other programs/games. Surely something can be learned from this.

System specs:

Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit, Power Supply: Corsair 750W SLI/CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply, Motherboard: MSI P45 Platinum LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard, Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale Dual-Core, RAM: G.Skill 4gb Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory, and Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 512mb Video Card.

HELP ME!!!