Thread: Installing Windows 98 by floppy only

Installing Windows 98 by floppy only

I am having a very old Panasonic Toughbook CF 25 with a 1.4 GB hard drive and a floppy drive only. There is no Operating system so far and there is no USB port as well. So I was thing if I can install Windows 98 in the same using Floppy drive as that is the only option.

Re: Installing Windows 98 by floppy only

First of all I don’t understand why you want to use such a old product. Anyway, there is no way to install Windows 98 via Floppy drive. The only thing you can do is remove its hard drive and connect with some other working computer and install OS using the CD drive.

Though installed win98 successfully on the HDD there would be some problem when you will connect back to Panasonic Toughbook CF because of the drivers. You will need to find proper drivers to make it work.

Yeah, that is correct. You just cannot install Windows 98 using a Floppy drive. But as you really want to use that product you can try installing Windows 95. That can be installed easily through Floppy.

Does Panasonic Toughbook have a network card or network support ? if yes, you can connect it with any other computer and copy windows 98 installation contents from the CD to Panasonic hard drive. And you can run the setup right from there. Am telling this because if it would have been possible to install it through floppy drive, you might need upto 30 floppy drives for the same.

You were almost correct Hockson, There are total 33 floppies for Windows 98 Gold. Though I have the set but never have used it yet. I wish you could have sold it to you but infact it will be useless to install it on such a old laptop.