Thread: Mouse problem - Optical mouse won't work

Mouse problem - Optical mouse won't work

This is Windows XP Home Edition running on Dell desktop computer withwhich I was using optical mouse since a year without any problem. This was with just the PS/2 connector. Now I have bought a new optical mouse with USB to PS/2 adapter. This worked fine for a week but since yesterday it is not working. It is now stuck in the middle of the screen, it just stopped working suddenly. There is also no light in bottom of the mouse.

Just for testing I borrowed a mouse with roller ball and is working fine with the same system. So what can be the problem with the second mouse. Is it the adapter causing problem ? Any help will be appreciated.

First of all this is Windows 98 Forum, you should have posted Xp question in Windows XP support forum. Anyways, did you tried connecting your mouse in any windows port ? If not, do it now. If it wont detects yet, you should try running usbview.exe. this use to be in the windows installation CD. Just leave your mouse connected with the computer, put installation CD in the drive and look for usbview.exe. Once you find, run the same. This will help you the device attach work without any drivers.