Thread: How to create a program to run at startup and logon in Windows 7?

How to create a program to run at startup and logon in Windows 7?

I am using windows 7 home premium for quite a sometime now. I have it installed in my desktop and also my laptop and even in my net book and I have windows 7 starter version. But I have a question that how do we create a program that it should run at the startup automatically and also If I log off the machine and login again the program should run automatically. Actually I have a few programs that I need to put in the startup queue like winamp, Picasa, WordPad, total video converter etc. so guys please let me know step by step instructions to do this, it would be really a great help.

Re: How to create a program to run at startup and logon in Windows 7?

Hey buddy; here is the step by step instruction to configure a program so that it starts automatically when you log on in your machine. First of all you need to log on to your user account in which you want to add the program to run automatically. Secondly click on the Start Menu, then type in "taskschd.msc" without quotes in the search box and press the enter key. Then if you are prompted by UAC just click on the Yes button. Then in the left pane of Task Scheduler, you have to click on the Task Scheduler Library folder, after that click on New Folder in the extreme right pane. Then just type in the name you want for the new task folder for making to find the task easier, and then click on OK button. Then in the left pane of Task Scheduler you have to click on the new task folder and then click on Create Task in the extreme right pane. Then under the General tab section, just type in any name for the task. Then under the General tab section,
    For a Administrator User Account -
    Check the box for Run with highest Privileges box.
    For a Standard User Account -
    Just Leave the Run with highest Privileges box unchecked.
    Then click on the Configure for the drop down box. And then select Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2. Note that this is just like compatibility mode. just in case if the program does not supports running in Windows 7, then in that case you can select the OS that supports running instead to have it run in compatibility mode as if it were running in that OS instead of Windows 7.Then click on the Triggers tab and New button. Then to make the Task to Run at startup - In the drop down list for the begin the task, select "At startup". But, make sure that Enabled is checked, and then click on OK. Then click on the new button under the Triggers tab. To make the Task to run at log on in the drop down list for the begin the task; select "At log on" option. But, make sure that Enabled box is checked, and click on OK button. Then click on the Actions tab and then the new button. Following these options you can easily make any program run at the startup or at the logon.

If you want you can also close the task scheduler. Just note one more thing that if you see in the middle of the pane just under the column of the author then the task that you have just created you can say that what is task is for which user account. Then just logoff and log in again to that user account or else restart the computer. And to delete the task then you can right click on the task in the middle pane and click on the delete and yes button. Next thing you can delete the task folder when empty and just make it empty the same way.

Hello people, I have an issue that has convinced me to just turnoff the UAC. Few days before I installed APC Power Chute software. So now whenever I am logging in the computer or else if I restart the machine I am getting a UAC prompt. This program is designed to run on the login/startup as it has to monitor my UPS. Now the most irritating thing is that if I give it the permission once, then all is well but only until the next login or restart. Then I can open it from the taskbar without getting the UAC prompt. But as soon as I log off or if I restart the machine then I have to keep on clicking the ok prompt of the UAC all day. So guys any suggestions for this, is this because of the program as it starts at the system’s logon.

Whenever you wan to remove a program from the startup you can always do that by going in to the msconfig and then into the startup section of it. To do that just follows these steps – first of all click on the start button-> select run - > type in msconfig - > click on the startup tab in the very first row of the table - > then select the program for the list, to make the list short you can check on the hide all Microsoft programs at the bottom of the window -> then uncheck the box of the program that you wan to disable - > then click on the ok button. Then restart the machine so that the changes can be made and then it’s done.