Thread: Install Mac operating system Vmvare Workstation

Install Mac operating system Vmvare Workstation

For the curious people like me who collects operating systems in virtual machines on your PC and play around, hang out, or even use a nice feature from time to time, I will mention to what I had to do to run a Snow Leopard on my Windows 7 using a virtual machine from VMWare Workstation 7 .

For Mac OS X
    • A system based on an Intel processor that supports hardware virtualization
    • An original copy of OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 Retail
    • VMware Workstation 7 or higher
    • Install as Windows 7 Operating System Host
    • Snow version files - Leopard.vmdk and Darwin_Snow.iso

If you have all the above items, you should have no problem to install Mac OS X on Windows 7 and you can enjoy the best of two worlds on your PC
    • Download and install VMware Workstation 7.
    • Download version premade files and Snow Leopard.vmdk Darwin_Snow.iso that everything runs smoothly.
    • Start VMware Workstation and open virtual machine Mac OS X Server 10.6 (experimental). Vmx that you downloaded in step 2.
    • Click on Edit virtual machine settings, select the CD / DVD (IDE) to the left and then select the right, the option Use ISO file mage. Then enter the path to the file darwin_snow.iso that you downloaded
    • Now start the virtual machine and press F8 on your keyboard. You should see a screen similar to the one below.
    • Now you need to change the configuration of the CD / DVD (IDE) to point to your real CD drive that contains the original copy of Mac OS X 10.6. But you select Use physical drive and choose the correct CD / DVD. Then make sure you connect the CD / DVD VMware. To do this, right click in the taskbar of VMware on the little CD that appears. (In the bottom of VMware). Then click Connect.
    • Now return to the screen the virtual machine, enter the option c (DVD Boot) from the command line that you obtained in Step 5. A gray background with the Apple logo should appear. If it does not try to start the installation in verbose mode by pressing F8 and then option c-v (without braces). This will start the system so you see what happens and know the error if there is one.
    • Wait a minute for the installation window appears. From there, follow the instructions on screen to install OS X. Make sure you format your virtual disk format Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with the disk utility.
    • Once the installation is complete, the virtual machine should automatically restart. At this point, close your virtual machine, edit the options still CD / DVD.
    • Start your virtual machine again, hit F8 and select the h (Boot first hard disk). And done, Snow Leopard should work like a charm on Windows 7. If the first start after 5 minutes, OS X seems always about to start, restart the virtual machine. After one or two tries, it should work fine
    • Before you begin your new OS, make sure you install all available updates.

For Snow Leopard
    • Intel CPU. AMD seems to be not working.
    • Installing Mac OS X Snow Leopard, DVD or image.
    • VMware Workstation 7.
    • The file pack Snowy_VM.

The process for the same is a similar as what you can see above. The only difference is that there are some settings and other options which are necessary to setup properly. Or else you can face some kind of crash issue on your system.
    • Run the VMware, and execute the action File> Open. Load the file Mac OSX Server 10.6 (experimental). Vmx that is included in the pack Snowy_VM. After we show the configuration panel of the virtual machine, with all the options already selected. Go into Edit virtual machine settings in the Commands tab. There will have to change in the CD / DVD drive (IDE) that is, the options under Connection. We will use Use ISO image file, and load the file darwin_snow.iso that is contained in the root directory of Snowy_VM pack. After this, start the virtual machine, giving the Play button. We will have to press F8 when you leave the bar carrying VMware, so that we remove the boot options in text mode.
    • If you have already recorded on a DVD (dual layer), the Snow Leopard, this step would be different. Would enter the device configuration CD / DVD (IDE) as before, and we should select Use physical drive, marking the drive letter that contains the DVD of Snow Leopard. But for people like me who want to save money by not burning DVDs, you can use an installation DVD image. Usually the images of the Snow Leopard DVDs come in DMG format, and are usually compressed. Therefore, in order to use them from the VMware will have to create a decompressed image, which can be used as an ISO image. We will use the program TransMac , which has a trial version fully functional 15 days and we will do the job. In it, we load the image, and clicking on it with the right button, select the Expand option. We may well save another iso, DMG formats too, but uncompressed, we can load in VMware without problems. It is VERY IMPORTANT that you remember to tick the box on the window Connected CD / DVD.
    • After pressing C (which is the option to boot from DVD), will begin to load the installation. The system asks you if you press F8 to enter advanced options, so you do. Then you set the verbose mode by typing-v at the command line and press enter. It takes a few seconds, and proceed to the language selection screen. When we choose the hard disk, mark the only one out. That's it. We expect about 15 minute and the installation will tell us to reboot. Then reboot, and in the window of CD / DVD (IDE) that we've played so much, we put darwin_snow.iso we had before.
    • I do not know what will happen to you, but to me the first load was a nice hang, never end loading. The system will ask you user data, information, typical. Now we will need to configure the sound card, because it will not. The drivers come in Snowy_VM pack, but even so, I will upload separately for those who wish to download from the Snow Leopard from here. Download the drivers, it only remains to install, and you're done.

Re: Install Mac operating system Vmvare Workstation

Many of these best practices or recommendations have nothing to do with having virtual servers and we should apply to our old physical servers. Often not applied because the impact, or improved performance on a physical server is not too high or is not noticeable, and not worth spending time on them. But remember that in our virtual infrastructure going to have multiple virtual servers, running on a single physical server and the same storage. This means that any decline in performance caused by the lack of tuning of our virtual infrastructure, is directly proportional to the number of virtual servers, and this IS that can negatively affect the performance of the whole.

Re: Install Mac operating system Vmvare Workstation

I do not have this in VMware. After using for about 5meses a Macbook with OSX leopard, Tiger does not convince me at all. I loved the operating system. To say that I have given 6months to view ubutu 6 to 6 to OSX. For a taste as each system has issues. I had installed 4 OS on my system.
    • Debian Sid 64bit ruling (SO incredible, powerful and fast)
    • Windows XP SP3
    • Windows Vista SP1 64bit (DX10 games I have started few times for X Games)
    • Apple Mac OS X 10.5.2 running smoothly

Installing OSX on a PC is not complicated, as long as they meet some requirements, but it really works very well. Tune on Ubuntu or any OS as it is on Mac OSX is a little sad after using a OSX. Several similarities, skins etc etc, is not very helpful to fool yourself. So if I continue staying with Debian for many things.