Thread: What to do after installing Fedora 13

idea What to do after installing Fedora 13

First and foremost the first thing to do is update your system. Upon the release of Fedora updates, but will obviously not after a while there so yes the update is very important for proper system performance. You can update your system through any graphical interface and also from the GNOME Terminal or Konsole in KDE.

If you do it from terminal must log in as root and then update with yum:
    su - login
    yum update
    Once you have the system upgraded to the latest, it's time to reboot. Fedora started again now it is time to customize it by installing applications, repositories, changing configurations, etc. ..

Then set the repositories that I think should not miss you for anything.

RPM Fusion

This repository contains basically everything you want: non-free codecs for video and audio, video proprietary drivers, and a lot of updated applications in their latest versions. To install simply download and install RPMS: free - nonfree.

KDE RedHat

If you are a lover and fan of the desktop environment KDE Software Compilation repository then this will make life happier. Each package of extra applications that are not stable in the official repositories of Fedora. Also, if you like what Cutting Edge (as Beta, RC. Etc. .. of applications or the same environment), the unstable repository contains a section where you can find many interesting things.

The installation is done through the terminal. Simply run the following to have it installed (by default not enabled testing and unstable sections):

yum-y install wget
    http://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/kde-redhat/fedora/kde.repo
    O / etc / yum.repos.d / kde.repo

Re: What to do after installing Fedora 13

Google

The official Google repository that hosts some of its applications like Google Chrome and Picasa. To install you first need to create the file containing the repository information. Execute the following:
    gedit / etc / yum.repos.d / google.repo
    If you use KDE change gedit and kwrite SC. Now, if you use a x86 architecture paste the following contents in the file:
    Code:
    [Google] 
    name = Google - i386 
    baseurl = http://dl.google.com/linux/rpm/stable/i386 
    enabled = 1 
    gpgcheck = 1 
    gpgkey = https: / / dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub
    If instead you use x86_64 paste the following:

Code:
    [Google64] 
    name = Google - x86_64 
    baseurl = http://dl.google.com/linux/rpm/stable/x86_64 
    enabled = 1 
    gpgcheck = 1 
    gpgkey = https: / / dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub
    Chromium

This repository contains packages Chromium web browser. If you want to install this browser will need to have the repository installed. To install creates the file in the repository:
    gedit / etc / yum.repos.d / chromium.repo
    If you use KDE change gedit and kwrite SC. Paste the following content and save the changes.
    Code:
    [Chromium] 
    name = Chromium Test Packages 
    http://spot.fedorapeople.org/chromium/F $ releasever baseurl = / 
    enabled = 1 
    gpgcheck = 0
    Adobe

If you are installing the flash plugin to a web browser, you will need this repository to get the package installed.

Through this repository can install the Skype application in an extremely easy.
    http://fedorasolved.org/multimedia-solutions/skype.repo
    O / etc / yum.repos.d / skype.repo

Graphics Drivers

Fedora includes in its repositories mesa-dri-drivers-experimental, experimental package contains drivers that will improve the graphics performance of your NVIDIA or ATI card is. Do not be scared by the experimental label, usually do not usually cause problems. Setup command from terminal:
    yum-y install mesa-dri-drivers-experimental

Codecs

Everybody has some music, videos and other content on non-free format. It is unfortunate but true. Hey but there's no need to panic, you can hear that music in MP3, WAV ... watch videos in AVI, MP4, etc. .. Simply install your codecs respective graphical environment and then you can play without problems.

Setup command from the terminal:
    yum-y install xine-lib-extras xine-lib-extras-Freeworld

Permissions :

Sudo

Active sweat and allow your user to perform administrative tasks. You can do this in 2 ways:

The first is to run the visudo command, press the button i added on file the following line:
    user ALL = (ALL) ALL = ALL

Substituting user for your user name (case sensitive counted). The other way is by running the following command, substituting the same user for your username:
    echo "user ALL = (ALL) ALL '>> / etc / sudoers

Disable SELinux

SELinux is a security tool that sometimes it becomes annoying to keep certain programs from running correctly. Therefore, at least I usually turn it off but it is not recommended if you want your computer 100% safe. To disable the menu Applications-> System settings-SELinux Management (in KDE) or System-> Administration-> SELinux Management (in GNOME). Then change the "Default Mode system Obedience" to Disabled. Restart and go.

Change the clock format to AM / PM

Do not know about you but I love more than I show the time clock in 12 hours (AM / PM). To do this go to: System Preferences-> Region and Language-> Time and Dates tab. There, in the Time format option, you can choose to show you the format AM / PM (pH: MM: SS AMPM).

Keyboard combinations

Whenever I have to be accessing the desktop, so I have to minimize windows all the time. Also where I'm constantly running applications that use so much KRunner ... .. I found that I am more effective if you customize the keyboard shortcuts for others who accommodated me more to do these things. Currently I have to show the desktop shortcut Meta + D (yes, like in windows) and execute KRunner Meta + Space (and therefore not stretch my fingers xD). Feel free to customize change for which most suit them, I assure you will give great advantage when using the environment. They can do this by going to System Preferences-> Keyboard & Mouse-> Keyboard Shortcuts global.

I completely agree with you.You have done an great job.. Such an informative and well formed post!Thanks for sharing that, it was wonderful of you.Thanks for the nice collection of this posts.!!!This is really good information....
    Good luck!