Thread: Tips to set up a virtual private network

Tips to set up a virtual private network

Many people want to know about the virtual private network, so I thought to provide some tips to set up a virtual private network.

Many companies are considering a virtual private network (VPN) to cover their Internet applications and share the same database for set-up. Want to know which approach is most efficient and cost effective. To help this learning opportunity and I will set up a realistic example. Practice and then respond to every concern around this scenario.

You have 10 satellite offices at a distance each with multiple users and you want to connect to a location of headquarters. For this scenario, here are my suggestions to address the most common set-up concerns. First ..... connection from site to site is optimized; having two VPN routers criterion talk to each other, you can have all the computers behind each router to connect or more for every computer to have a customer charge. Depending on what you buy a router, some come with pre-installed PPTP and IPSec VPN client already installed so you're all set.

Then, the type of network connection you will use is essential. As the cable, xDSL, T1, or DS3. Depending on the size of your database use (number of users and load up each of your network), you should consider a T1 line that your spine. You can always evolve as the need arises (an easement T1 or DS3) or reduced if it is justified (Fractional T1). This level of bandwidth dedicated circuit also offers greater reliability, stability and scalability not to mention a QoS (Quality of Service) and SLA (Service Level Agreement) which trains providers on these levels of circuits. It makes business sense.

Remember to measure your budget for equipment, and also determine if there is an expectation for all people who travel will need remote access. The first I address next.

Re: Tips to set up a virtual private network

Free VPN has several advantages :
    • the license is free;
    • the code is open and editable, the tool adapts to the needs of decision makers;
    • community offers constant support and software enhancements.

OpenVPN is designed for networks with up to a hundred machines. The VPN ensures the confidentiality of external links to your company. It has been deployed in several types of network configurations.

Advantages of OpenVPN :

• For Director General: Information security vital strategic
    • Responsible for computer security: confidentiality, firewall, encryption and secure transfer of data and access, traceability of access
    • For the director of information systems: defining a network topology, confidentiality of the information system
    • Responsible for security: confidentiality (Defence project)
    • For the project leader: discreet exchange of multi-sites
    • For the lawyer: the obligation to respect means of privacy
    • To all: confidential exchange of data, even between sites

Features :
    VPNs offer include the following functions :

• security data
    • intrusion detection,
    • management of complex topology networks,
    • confidentiality of data exchanges, including external network links,
    • access authentication by digital certificates,
    • the encrypted connection between sites or facilities via the Internet,
    • encryption exchange (SSL / TLS)
    • remote access and multi-site

OpenVPN is an open source virtual private networking. It runs on Windows (XP, Vista) and Linux and is based on the lower layers of communication protocols (transport layer of the OSI system and encapsulation of encrypted packets).

Re: Tips to set up a virtual private network

From Linksys SOHO / SMB turnkey solution, I submit the following hardware devices. Many managers of IT because they have good prices (in my opinion).

• WRV54G - Severely under-estimated. Supports 50 IPSec VPN tunnels and 5 on board QuickVPN IPSEC VPN clients, you can upgrade customers from 5 to 50 (yes, it's true VPN). Do not support NAT-T/GRE, so that you can not configure a VPN server Microsoft with this device.
    • WRT54GL routers with DD-WRT VPN firmware edition 24B. It supports both client and server Open VPN. This is very safe and stable. Much cheaper in keeping with hardware VPN management, that everything I found.
    • RV016/042/082 - All support a minimum of 5 IPSEC VPN tunnels (or higher), minimum of 5 clients QuickVPN (with the option of upgrading even WRV54G). NAT-T/GRE support units, aboard PPTP server with 5 clients, and allows you to configure a VPN server behind Microsoft for customers PPTP/L2TP addtional (128 total).
    • WRVS4400N - supports 5 VPN tunnels, 5 clients QuickVPN (no upgrade option for the moment), and supports NAT T / GRE. In addition, you have the port-based VLANs available, IDS / IPS services to include e-mail alert the user to define checklists customized access services to define, measure, support IPv4 / IPv6 LAN connections, WMM QoS for improvement and video / audio. Yes, I'm all over it favoritism. I am currently testing the friends that and looking like the old Linksys.

Finally, the following software solutions are free :

• Monowall - requires an old PC with two network cards (for starters) Download the image on your computer, burn to a disc, go ahead and conquer.
    • Smoothwall - even Monowall.
    • SSL Explorer - SSL VPN solution.
    • OpenVPN - script-based VPN

Overall: I prefer hardware solutions, so I'm inclined to go with a router that has either an edge or PPTP server capacity to support NAT-T/GRE. Use of material reduces the burden of having a host workstation / server your VPN, but that is not less effective software solutions.