Thread: Keyboard shortcuts to make screenshot in Mac OS X

Keyboard shortcuts to make screenshot in Mac OS X

Being with Windows Operating system, i am also using MAC OS X from last couple of months. As compared to Windows, one thing that is really impressive in Mac OS X is the substantial built-in support for taking screenshot from the get go. In what follows, when I speak of keys 3 and 4, I will not refer to the keypad but the keys 'and'. And when I say "screenshot", I mean get a. Pdf or. Png (depending on your version of Mac OS X) on the desktop. When I say "screenshot", I mean get the image into the clipboard, ready to be pasted anywhere.

As we all know, in Windows there is only two shortcuts to capture the screenshot, that is Alt+PrtScn that takes the active window and just PrtScn to take the whole screen. But in MAC there are many. Here some of them that can be very helpful for all MAC OS X users:-

• Command + Shift +3: Capture the entire screen.
    • Shift-Command-4: capture a portion of the screen: the cursor turns into a cross, and you must click and drag to select the portion of the screen to capture.
    • Shift-Command-4 then space: Capture a window, a menu, an icon in the Dock or on the desktop, etc. . The cursor turns into a camera, and you can just click on what you want to captur
    • Shift-Command-4 then space: Capture a window, a menu, an icon in the Dock or on the desktop, etc. . The cursor turns into a camera, and you can just click on what you want to capture.

By adding control to any of these combinations, you get a screen instead of a screenshot, either:
    • Shift + Command + Control + 3: copy the whole screen.
    • Shift + Command + Control + 4: Copy of part of the screen.
    • Shift + Command + Control + 4 then space: adding a window, a menu, an icon in the Dock or on the desktop, etc..

You can also move and even act on a window that is not even in the foreground? To do this, simply use the command key. For example open several windows in the Finder, then control + click on a metallic part of a window in the background, and move (you can release the control key).
    It's a bit ironic, but the Finder is Cocoa (native applications I mentioned at the beginning), so it stops there. In other applications by cons, it can go further. Try Safari for example, you see that you can scroll a window in the background, press buttons, etc..

Re: Keyboard shortcuts to make screenshot in Mac OS X

Quickly change screen:
    • Go to the desktop and panel screen saver system preferences (by Apple Menu -> System Preferences, or by right clicking on the desktop or control + click for my fellow single button, then Edit screen ...). Make sure you're on the Desktop tab, and not the screen saver.
    • To save an image you screen, one would normally click on Choose File, select your folder and click on its name and choose your image. All this can be annoying if you frequently change screen, and they are not all in one place. The solution is to simply drag your image from the Finder icon on your current screen in System Preferences. And poof!

Change application window and the keyboard:
    • For fans of keyboard navigation, it is imperative to know these. To change the application, do command + tab. If you do so very quickly, it'll take you on the last application on which you were, and start you back to the application you just left. If you hold longer, you will have a list of open applications (still in the order of last use). Pick one by pressing Tab several times (without releasing the Command key and add capital to go the other direction), or with the arrow keys or the mouse.
    • Then release the keys to making the application, or press H to hide the application, or press A to exit the application, or finally made Escape to exit the panel without switching applications.
    • Once the desired application, command + <scrolls the window (Shift + Command + "the scrolls in the other direction).