Thread: Wordpress install problems on IIS

Wordpress install problems on IIS

My approach is not the only one, because it springs from my more-pleasure craft, for a current necessity. Today there are more professional, namely engines, which can be installed easily on his web server, so you just concentrate more on the content should, instead of fight with the technology. The best known and best Englin is currently Wordpress. I have yesterday installed on the domain of a friend to see how easy it is.

Most blog engines use Linux open source technology such as Apache, PHP and MySQL. For this reason, many people think that they will in their Windows-based web provider to look through their fingers. Do they not! Most professional providers that is now offering PHP and MySQL also on their Windows servers. Yesterday's test was therefore also the question of whether Wordpress could be without problems on an IIS (Microsoft Internet Information Server) to install.

The steps:

• MySQL database in the customer center of the provider to enable access information and remember
    • Latest Wordpress version to download and unpack the tar.gz file, eg with WinRAR.
    • In the unpacked directory Wordpress complement the configuration file to the data from Step 1
    • All files and subdirectories from wordpress to transfer via FTP to the desired location
    • Call setup with a browser. It will only be asked for blog names and e-mail address of the Administator and is ready!

Re: Wordpress install problems on IIS

At the end of the automatic installation you have an admin user and a random password, which you can look around the administration area of the blog. There can modify a variety of settings, activate plug-ins and also administer items. Also I have defined a user with which I can create items.

Since it would be cheesy, it would have been no problems, I still encountered some challenges, but they were all easy to solve:
    • After installation, the provider must still enable the execution of php scripts in the root directory of the website, without those we received when calling the main mistake that some files were missing.
    • By default, the administration area as well as the standard template in English. One can, however, a German and a translated language file download standard appearance. If you have transferred the files to the respective correct places, yet the language is missing an entry in the configuration file and call the appropriate PHP script to enable the configuration.
    • Particularly convenient is to write blog articles with Windows Live Writer (WLW) to that a lot of steps, such as decreasing the automatic scaling of inserted images. I sent the blog link an equal in my WLW, therefor I only had the site's URL and the credentials of my new user. But, when you post an article with images, I got the strange message that the blog does not upload pictures would help. I had to activate it first in the customer center, the write permissions for the upload directory, so that Wordpress is the best possible images memory.

Re: Wordpress install problems on IIS

The basic installation of Wordpress on a Windows IIS is just as easy, feasible, such as on Linux servers, and also for laymen. In many places, i read, that would need to be the Apache mod_rewrite module to operate, but that's not true. This module serves only the addresses of the articles or create something beautiful for search engines, but in the beginning what you can easily do without, dispense, or must, for it belongs to Apache, the Linux server and is therefore not available on IIS. Here one can achieve the same effect in 3 ways:

Custom ISAPI filter installed, but that requires admin access to the server
    Custom 404-page written that goes well with ASP
    It is best to use the ASP.NET Global.asax