Thread: Make your Windows Computer Faster

Make your Windows Computer Faster

I am running windows xp on my computer and can any one tell me what will make my computer faster. I have installed 2 gb ram and 360gb hard disk, only 80 gb space is used and still it is too slow....

Re: Make your Windows Computer Faster

Windows Defender will make my computer faster,it is a software that helps protect your windows computer against pop-ups, slow performance, and security threats caused by spyware and other unwanted software by detecting and removing known spyware from your computer. Windows Defender features Real-Time Protection, a monitoring system that recommends actions against spyware when it's detected, minimizes interruptions, and helps you stay productive.

Run MSconfig, it is a utility to troubleshoot the Windows startup process. To do this, select Start>Run and type msconfig into the space. Select the Startup tab and get rid of all unnecessary programs.

Defragment your hard disk(s). If your computer is running slow and you are rapidly losing patience with crashes, slow applications then you need to clear Internet Explorer cache.Consider using a lower resolution, or a lower color depth for your monitor.
    Check this thread for more information :
    How to Make programs load faster
    how do you make the scrolling page faster on windows xp
    Make the Computer Easier to See

interfuse Guest

Uninstall any un-needed applications and run a registry cleaner to clear up any scraps those applications leave behind. If you are unsure of whether you need the app or not, do not uninstall it, only remove entries you know that (or you have confirmed that) you do not need.

The possibilities as far as improving your system performance are pretty much endless, you just need to take the necessary steps to eliminate system bloat.

project Guest

Hello,

Unfortunately, I must say I'm against most of the tweaks suggested.

Most users will disable things. At first sight, everything will appear dandy. Then, three months away, some curious little error will popup. And they will never be able to relate to some tweak they applied, in a sea of tweak three months ago.

Windows is fragile and works best as is. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

If someone experiences memroy usage problems, they should consider:

Buying a better computer / more RAM.
    Installing only a select number of applications that do not bleed the memory.

Tweaking is dangerous if you cannot fully 100% retrace the steps you make all the way back to initial configuration. I bet most people can only do tweaks - very few can untweak them.

Finally, tweaking guides always refer to a single machine, single user, no networking, no NAT, no file or printer sharing, no gaming etc... All these will be crippled one way or another by unnecessary tweaks.

I have a few powerful machines. The weakest one, AMD 64 Athlon 3700 with 2GB RAM boots in less than 15 seconds with 45 processes at startup, all default thingies working. So I see no reason to kill the machine

Quote Originally Posted by project View Post
    I have a few powerful machines. The weakest one, AMD 64 Athlon 3700 with 2GB RAM boots in less than 15 seconds with 45 processes at startup, all default thingies working. So I see no reason to kill the machine

I'm with Team Project on this one. As cheap as components have become these days, I'm of the thought that you should procure the hardware muscle you need and not worry about tweaking anything.

interfuse Guest

The fact is, you need to be smart about it. Learning the process can be pain-staking and take years to master. Yes, if you tweak, you will probably break things, but if your careful and you know what you're doing, you can take a previously old and out-dated machine and get it to boot in "seconds".

In my mind, the way windows retails is not suitable and can sometimes be overloaded with features and un-needed services. This is where knowing what you can and can't do comes in to play. You can have the fastest hardware available but if your operating system is resource hungry, it'll keep your machine working overtime.

Sounds like everyone might have their own opinion here, but my clients love me for taking their old computers and working them to run faster then the day it came out of the box.