Thread: How to remove all traces of your antivirus

How to remove all traces of your antivirus

Many anti-virus software company's have started developing its "2010" releases due to safety reasons. Some of them are already available in "beta" version. In such cases you may probably want to test some of them. But the big problem that arises in such situations is in fact the universal flaws of all these products: their inability to uninstall completely. So here is the set of solutions to uninstall your current antivirus programs from your computer completely!

Most of the time, even an updated version of a software may result into failure or malfunctioning. This is pretty obvious between two competing products and it is even worse! So, before you can try one of the new suites in 2010, you will necessarily have to completely uninstall your current suite. Now all publishers offer tools to ensure that this will uninstall and remove all traces of their product!

Avast Uninstall Utility (aswClear.exe)

The software removes all traces of Avast 4.xx and can uninstall the software even when the cancellation by the Windows Control Panel fails:

Avast Uninstall Utility: awsClear.exe

AVG Remover Utility (avgremover.exe)

This tool absolutely cleans all traces of AVG, available in two versions: the classic 32-bit and 64-bit version (for x64 version of Windows Vista and 7).

AVG Remover Utility:

Avira AntiVir (RegCleaner)

Avira does not provide an uninstall tool. We must remove the software through the Control Panel only.

CA Internet Security Suite

Working with 2007 and 2008 editions, this tool uninstalls corrects dysfunctional:

CA Internet Security Suite

NOD 32 ESET Removal Tool (nod32removal.exe)

International Sites ESET only offer solutions manual cleaning. But the site of the Dutch publisher have a tool in the download section, even though this tool does not have a dedicated page.

NOD 32 ESET Removal Tool: nod32removal.exe

F-Secure Uninstallation 3 (UITool3-420.zip):

This software cleans traces and completes the work if the uninstall classic failed.

F-Secure Uninstallation 3: UITool3-420.zip

GData (AVKCleaner 2009)

GData AVK 2009 installs so many layers and extensions in the system that uninstalling is often very chaotic. Fortunately, there is a cleaner on the German site.

GData (AVKCleaner 2009): AVKCleaner

Kaspersky (KAVremover9.zip)

Kaspersky advises the use of this cleaner even when updated. Basic principle: you usually uninstall the old version, you use the cleaner and then reinstall the new version or another protection! The cleaner removes versions 6.x, 7.x and 2009 with both KAV (AntiVirus) and KIS (Internet Security)

Kaspersky: kavremover9.zip

McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool (MCPR.exe)

The uninstaller software removes all traces of editions 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, McAfee Total Protection, McAfee Internet Security Suite PC Protection Plus VirusScan Plus Wireless Protection.

McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool: MCPR.exe

Microsoft Live OneCare (OneCareCleanUp.exe)

Microsoft also provides OneCare suite for a complete cleaning.

Microsoft Live OneCare: onecarecleanup.exe

Norton Removal Tool (Norton_Removal_Tool.exe)

The Symantec cleaning software covers all editions of Norton Antivirus (NAV) and Norton Internet Security (NIS) between 2003 and 2009, and the various versions of Norton 360.

Norton Removal Tool: Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

Panda Security Uninstaller

The uninstaller Panda varies depending generations of tools. Below you'll find tools for versions 2008 and 2009 security tools Panda.

Trend Micro

The system varies according to the versions you are having:
    • To uninstall the 2007 version: here
    • To uninstall the 2009 version: Use the software Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit Support in the menu "All Programs", then Trend Micro Internet Security. Or download it below:

Re: How to remove all traces of your antivirus

Thanks man for that tip. I am using Norton anti-virus for past 6 years and was really fed up of this software. Many a times I had to format my system due to malware activities on my computer. I finally though of to change my anti-virus program. But the actual problem was that I couldn't get rid of this software. I google a lot of this and some one suggested me to disable all services related Norton or Symantec in Windows Services. Other than that there was no other solutions found. And that's what I followed. However your solution seems to me quite impressive. I will going to give it a try. Hope it will work.