Thread: Hide a server/Computer in My Network

Hide a server/Computer in My Network

For security, for doubt, it may be interesting to "hide" machine on the network to hide for anyone accessing their favorite networks. This is especially good on a corporate network server to hide sensitive monitoring, supervision or mapping.

/! \ NOTE /! \ This is the to disable a setting for displaying favorite network! The machine is perfectly accessible from the networks, but to achieve it we must know the name! This trick is not to be used as cash to completely guarantee the security of a server or other computer.

By default the value "hidden", hidden, our net config server settings is no. To change it launch the command prompt open with "Start", "Run ..." you type "cmd" then click "OK"

Under Vista, you have to open the command prompt with administrator rights: "Start", "All Programs" "Accessories" and right click on "Command Prompt" and choose "Run as administrator ".

The command prompt opens, you enter the command:

net config server / hidden: yes

Then "Enter"

A message indicates that the change in our hidden value has been correctly performed.

To accommodate the change, it is necessary to restart the computer.

To cancel the change and make it visible again in the computer networks favorites, simply type the command:

net config server / hidden: no

Re: Hide a server/Computer in My Network

How to Use Registry Editor to Hide a Windows 2000-Based Computer from the Browser List

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
    • Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
    • Locate and then click the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
    • On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value:

Value name: Hidden
    Data type: REG_DWORD
    Value data: 1
    Quit Registry Editor.