Thread: What to do with my Old Computer?

What to do with my Old Computer?

Hi friends,
    I am currently in the process of building myself a new system. Now i have an old computer. What can I do with the computer? Looking for good suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

Re: What to do with my Old Computer?

Your old system may not be suited to high-speed graphics or fast-paced games, but if it's sporting a Pentium II CPU or better, it's probably more than adequate for word processing, Web browsing, and other basic tasks. New home networking products make sharing a high-speed Internet link cheaper and easier than ever.

If you have got a PC that is only a couple of years old, then there’s a good chance you could hook that PC to your television. Grab a copy of Boxee for Linux or Mac OS now or try to get into the Windows alpha. If you’ve already got videos, music, or pictures on your network, XBMC is a nice alternative to Boxee. XBMC Media Center is an application you could pick up for free for any OS.

You can consider donating it to a charity that accepts computers.Any system with a Pentium processor or better should be suitable for donation. Call first, however, to find out if any restrictions or rules apply and be sure to ask about delivery instructions, parking, pickups, etc. Remove all your personal files. A total system is easier to process and much more useful than a partial one.
    For tax purposes, get a receipt from the organization to confirm your donation. Make sure it has the date, the make and model number of your PC, and the make and model number of all other equipment you donate.

Try out any number of Linux distributions. If your computer was built in the last few years, most Linux distros will be able to handle your hardware with few problems. Maybe if you build that server, you could just use something like FreeNAS and just make that old PC a big network storage device.