Thread: Add "Export to Microsoft Excel" to the Right Click Menu in Internet Explorer

Add "Export to Microsoft Excel" to the Right Click Menu in Internet Explorer

Microsoft Internet Explorer (version 5.0 or higher) includes a popular way for you to create a Web query in Microsoft Excel (version 2000 or higher). Following steps will show you, how to add the "Export to Microsoft Excel" option to the right-click menu in Internet Explorer:
    • Click on Start Button
    • Click Run
    • Type regedit and press Enter
    • Then Browse following:
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Internet Explorer \ MenuExt
    • Right click MenuExt =>select New
    • Select Key and name it "Export to Microsoft Excel" without the quotes
    • With the new subkey "Export to Microsoft Excel" highlighted, double click (default) in the right hand window pane, and set its "Value data" as follows:
      For Excel 2003 (OFFICE11)

res://C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
      For Excel 2007 (OFFICE12)

res://C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    • Exit the Registry Editor.
    Open Internet Explorer and browse a Web page containing tabular data. Right click on the table and choose "Export to Microsoft Excel". Select one or more tables by clicking the arrows adjacent to each table.

smile Re: Add "Export to Microsoft Excel" to the Right Click Menu in Internet Explorer

Good evening Itronix,

I hope you can assist me with this problem.
    I use Windows 7 and use ie8 and wanted to use the "ëxport to Microsoft Excel"option on the right click menu. However, this option was missing on the menu. I added by following the instructions you have outlined here (for excel 2007 version).
    I now have the menu option displayed, but when I click on it, the right click menu just closes. Do I need to activate the export option or something like that to get this menu to function correctly?

Please advise.

Regards.....gsdanger

Re: Add "Export to Microsoft Excel" to the Right Click Menu in Internet Explorer

hi sorry for digging, did you manage to solve the issue?

thanks
    ken

Re: Add "Export to Microsoft Excel" to the Right Click Menu in Internet Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by tlkchew View Post
    hi sorry for digging, did you manage to solve the issue?

thanks
    ken
    You will need to edit the Windows registry to remove the command from the Internet Explorer shortcut menu, or to direct the command on the Internet Explorer shortcut menu to the current location of Microsoft Excel. However, if you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. In any case to edit the Windows registry key, follow the steps given here.