Thread: How do I transfer files and programs from one computer to another

How do I transfer files and programs from one computer to another

Hi Friends,

I bought a new PC. And now i want to transfer all files and programs from old computer to new one. Anybody have any idea?

Thank you in advance.

Re: How do I transfer files and programs from one computer to another

If the program is a single exe file, copy it. If it's an installed program you can't copy it, it has to be installed. It makes some changes to the registry when it installs, and copying the registry from one computer to another will render the second one inoperable. The installation of any decent sized program isn't limited to a few files in a directory, but can be strewn over many directories.

In addition, entries are made in various places in the Registry, a catch-all file for all programs.The installation program takes into account the situation on the machine as it's installing the program. A different machine might in fact get different files.

Programs like PC Mover, Acronis Migrate Easy 7, CA Desktop DNA Migrator 2007, and Anyplace Control, FileVan 5 allow you to be able to transfer your files easily with no hassle. FileVan 5 uses your parallel ports between two computers to transfer your data. The other programs give you a little more flexibility when it comes to moving your files from computer to computer.
    It can even transfer your operating system and all system files.

One of the easiest ways for PC migration is by USB cable. Most computers take USB. So transferring files can be done easily.
    Not only can you transfer files between two desktops but you can transfer files from a PC to MAC or from a PC to a laptop.

One of the easiest ways for PC migration is by USB cable. Most computers take USB. So transferring files can be done easily.
    How can we transfer data between usb cabel. If we use USB cabel with both male ports and plug both PCs is it works,,,One PC shows Others partition ..? i dont think so..? Anyway tell me how we can tranfer by using only USb cabel

File and settings transfer is easy. Windows File& Settings Transfer Wizard under Accessories/System Tools solve most problem there.

Transferring programs, on other hand is way harder due to necessity to transfer registry entries, hardware compatibility et cetera.

You can try mentioned above paid PC Mover or Move Me

http://cms.laplink.com/pcmover
    http://www.spearit.com/

You also can try PickMeApp - a free tool for programs transfer that is now in open Beta.
    http://www.pickmeapp.com/

Be prepared that all above won't transfer all of your programs. Those that were not transferred or stopped to work after the tranfer will need to be reinstalled.

Hope it helps.

What about using Folder Transfer? I think it is a good and easy to transfer files from one computer to another over the network. You can also share your computer files and folders to let other network users download anytime.