Thread: Copy an error message to clipboard

Copy an error message to clipboard

Example error:

One of these tricks that I like especially. On the forums, you are asked to post the error messages, to better understand your problems. Recopying often cumbersome, I agree. If you're lucky, and that the developer of the program displays a message using the MessageBox (ultra popular and simple). If it is at the forefront, a simple CTRL + C to copy enough to clipboard .

To get this:

---------------------------
    Microsoft ActiveSync
    Cannot connect with current connection settings> To check your connection settings, click Start, then Settings, then Connections.

Support Code: 85020006
    OK
    Of course, it must be in a MessageBox, and each program (ur) is free not to use them, but to test, simply enter an unrecognized command in "Start Menu" / "execute" the error in a MessageBox in Windows 2000, XP, Vista.

Since the text is presented in a static text box, there is no way to select all or a portion of the text. Another method would be to use the edit text box control, and set the text to read-only. That's what the Windows shell does for the file property sheets, which allows users to select and copy text such as the full pathname of a file. So, if you press CTRL+C, the text of the message will be copied to the clipboard. If you paste it into notepad, it'll look like this:

Microsoft ActiveSync
    Cannot connect with current connection settings> To check your connection settings, click Start, then Settings, then Connections.

Support Code: 85020006
    OK

Edit
    :
    Quote Originally Posted by FaMe FacToR View Post
    You can use this trick to copy many things like say Device ID of a hardware that you access from device manager and Device's properties!

Re: Copy an error message in the clipboard

I admit there excellent tip that I had no idea! Always good to know to look for any error on google. Thank you very much .

Wooo , After using windows xp for four years i didn't found this . Its look windows XP is still hidden for me. Thank you very much for this nice and very useful tip.

I know another shortcut: Ctrl + Alt + insert does the same. I wonder if they are quite identical or sometimes one works when the other did not.

You can use this trick to copy many things like say Device ID of a hardware that you access from device manager and Device's properties!