Thread: How to Change user accounts with Super user in Linux/Unix

How to Change user accounts with Super user in Linux/Unix

Hi,
    I want to change a user account attributes in Linux/Unix with Super User.Can any one tell me what commands i need to use for it.I was knowing it early but i have forget it.I would be thankful to that person.

Re: How to Change user accounts with Super user in Linux/Unix

Sure i will help you out with this issue Follwoing are the Commands Options :-

Syntax

usermod [ -u uid ] [ -g pgroup ] [ -G group1,group2 ... ] [ -d dir [ -m ] ] [ -s shell ] [ -c comment ] [ -l new_name ] [ -e expire ] [ -R role1,role2 ... ] login

Description For usermod Commands

Description For usermod Commands

1. -u, --uid UID

The numerical value of the user's ID. This value must be unique, unless the -o option is used. The value must be non-negative. Values between 0 and 999 are typically reserved for system accounts. Any files which the user owns and which are located in the directory tree rooted at the user's home directory will have the file user ID changed automatically. Files outside of the user's home directory must be altered manually.

2. -g pgroup

Identifies the primary group. The pgroup parameter must be a valid group name or ID.The default group number is 1.

3. G, --groups GROUP1[,GROUP2,...[,GROUPN]]]

A list of supplementary groups which the user is also a member of. Each group is separated from the next by a comma, with no intervening whitespace. The groups are subject to the same restrictions as the group given with the -g option. If the user is currently a member of a group which is not listed, the user will be removed from the group. This behaviour can be changed via -a option, which appends user to the current supplementary group list.

4. -d, --home HOME_DIR

The user's new login directory. If the -m option is given the contents of the current home directory will be moved to the new home directory, which is created if it does not already exist.

5. -s, --shell SHELL

The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell.

6. -c, --comment COMMENT

The new value of the user's password file comment field. It is normally modified using the chfn(1) utility.The comment parameter is a string with no embedded colon ( : ) characters and cannot end with the characters '#!'.

7. -l, --login NEW_LOGIN

The name of the user will be changed from LOGIN to NEW_LOGIN. Nothing else is changed. In particular, the user's home directory name should probably be changed to reflect the new login name.

8. e, --expiredate EXPIRE_DATE

Identifies the expiration date of the account. The expire parameter is a 10-character string in the MMDDhhmmyy form, where MM is the month, DD is the day, hh is the hour, mm is the minute, and yy is the last 2 digits of the years 1939 through 2038. All characters are numeric. If the expire parameter is 0, the account does not expire. The default is 0.

9. R role1,role2,

Lists the administrative roles for this user. The role1,role2,... parameter is a list of role names, separated by commas.