Thread: Disable/Delete the Hibernation file

Disable/Delete the Hibernation file

hi,
    I never put my computer in hibernation.I know it would free up alot of space, right? I don't know how to disable it but wanted to know if it would cause any problems if I did disable it. Thanks.

Re: Disable/Delete the Hibernation file

Deleting the hibernation file (C:\hiberfil.sys) with the help of Disk Cleanup, will disable hibernation also.
    Delete it only if you don't use the hibernate function or if you desperately need to reclaim some disk space.This file occupies/reserves space equivalent to your RAM.

Disable Hibernation

1. Click Start, All Programs, and then right click on Command Prompt.
    2. Select Run as administrator.
    3. If User Account Control prompts you to allow the action, click on Continue.
    4. In the command prompt window, type “powercfg –h off” (without the quotes).
    4. Close the Command Prompt window.

Delete the Hibernation File

1. Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then click Disk Cleanup.
    2. If prompted to choose a drive, select the drive in which Windows XP/Vista is installed on to and press OK.
    3. Disk Cleanup will scan the hard drive and present you with a list of options.
    4. Check Hibernation File Cleaner, and then click OK.
    5. When asked “Are you sure you want to permanently delete these files?” click on the Delete Files button.

hi,
    I added a shortcut to it in my startup folder. Now, when I restart my computer I can see the little dos window open and close real quick so I now it gets run.
    i create a .bat file to turn off hibernation each time the computer starts. Alls it has in it is powercfg -H off. If I double click it disables hibernation. I added a shortcut to it in my startup folder.when I restart my computer I can see the little dos window open and close real quick so I now it gets run. Then I check my system and hibernation is still enabled!. Then I click the shortcut and check again and it is disabled. Whats the best way to find out what is actually enabling hibernation?

hi,
    If you do not use hibernation, make sure you do not have it enabled, which reserves disk space equal to your RAM.
    If you have a hidden file on the root directory of your C-drive called hiberfil.sys, hibernation is enabled. To remove that file:
    Go to Control Panel, select Performance and Maintenance, Power Options, Hibernate tab, and uncheck the Enable hibernation box.

Click Start button, and in the Start Search box type cmd.
    At the top of the Start menu (under the Programs header), you will see cmd.exe listed; right-click this entry, and from the context menu click Run as administrator (Figure) (you can also press the Ctrl+Shift+Enter keys simultaneously after you type cmd in Vista's Start Search box, and this will also get you an elevation prompt to run cmd.exe in administrator mode). Now type the command powercfg -H off. This will turn off hibernate & remove the file Hiberfil.sys (to see this file in Windows Explorer, you have to set Windows Explorer to Show hidden files and folders, which you can enable on the View tab from the Folder Options Control Panel applet).

I recommend you use Hibernation and do not delete the Hibernation file from your Windows if you are on Windows Vista. I would choose to Hibernate and not shutdown on Vista. Also there is a software which acts like Hibernation file cleaner so download it if possible.