Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Play Videos in Outlook Express with VLC Player

How to Play Videos in Outlook Express with VLC Player

As I have a little gallery to find the solution to play videos in Outlook Express with VLC (error message: No program is associated with this file to perform this action), I posted here the solution.
    I note of course that the file extensions videos were associated with VLC (in Folder Options)

1. Click on Start / Run and then type: regedit
    2. Open HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ VLC.avi\ shell.
    3. Create a key named Open
    4. Select this key and then create a key named Command
    5. Select this key and then edit the value (default).
    6. Enter data as the value of this: "C: \ Program Files \ VideoLAN \ VLC" - started-from-file "% 1"

I created a file. Reg which includes all extensions videos VLC.

Re: How to Play Videos in Outlook Express with VLC Player

Thank you for your trick, but do I created this key in every video format?
    because I receive video *. avi or *. wmv
    thank you in advance for your response

Should I created this key in every video format?
    The answer is YES
    So for *. wmv:
    1. Click on Start / Run and then type: regedit
    2. Open HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ VLC. Wmv \ shell.
    3. Create a key named Open
    4. Select this key and then create a key named Command
    5. Select this key and then edit the value (default).
    6. Enter data as the value of this: "C: \ Program Files \ VideoLAN \ VLC" - started-from-file "% 1"

I did as suggested, and it worked with one problem arising after that. Whenever I tried to open a video I got a pop-up box asking if I wanted to use VLC or WMP to open it, with a box to check to remember that answer. But that pop-up came up every time I tried to open a video attachment, no matter if I checked the 'remember this' box. I have Vista Home Ultimate Premium 64-bit, and had VLC set as the default player and associations set properly, with the registry edit you suggested implemented. Is there a solution for this?

Go to Tools -> Preferences... (set Show Settings to All) , make you Settings in these Panel then , Remember to press Save to save VLC settings and restart VLC after that to make sure changes are enabled.

I'm not sure which settings you want me to change/save. I set Show Settings to All, and tried saving the default settings, but I still get the pop-up to choose a player every time I try to open an email video. I don't see anything else that would alter that in Tools/Preferences. Could you be very specific please? Sorry to be such a bother.

Well it Better to try some other Stable release of Vlc Software , it might that the release you are using of Vlc might be incompatible with windows, so i would suggest Better some other Stable release of vlc , hope it would solve your problem

I'm using the latest version, VLC 1.0.1. Is there a different version that you could recommend that would be more stable?

VLC Media Player 0.9.9
    VLC media player is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols without external codec or program.It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.

Check this to Download th Vlc 0.9 Version

Before I do that, do I need to uninstall the version I have now, and how about the registry edit I made following your instructions?

Yup , You Will be Needed to uninstall the Older Version of this Vlc software , for this Click on the Uninstall VLC icon that was created during installation , and about the registry changes, you Can make them Again when you reinstall the 0.9 Version of vlc player

I did as you suggested and deleted the registry keys I'd make, uninstalled 1.0.1, used CCleaner and then rebooted. I installed .9 from your link, made VLC my default player, checked the associations, recreated the registry links, went through Tools/Preferences and saved the default settings and then closed VLC. I opened my email and clicked on a video, got the prompt to choose VLC or WMP, chose VLC and checked the box to remember that decision, played a bit of the video and then closed it. Re-opened the video and got the same prompt to choose a player. There's no difference between the old version and new version in that respect. Do you have any further advice, please?

One Thing , you could Try this Method , it might Help

This behavior can occur if the file attachment does not have a file name extension that is registered with a program on your computer. For example, if you save a Notepad file without the .txt extension, the file name has no association to the Notepad program when the file is received as an e-mail attachment.

To resolve this behavior, associate a file type with the file:
    • Right-click the attachment, and then click Open.
    • Click Save it to disk, and then click OK.
    • Click the desktop icon, and then click Save.
    • Right-click the file, and then click Open With.
    • Click the program that you want to associate the file with, and then click OK.

I saved the video to desktop, and it played as soon as I clicked on it. I stopped play, right-clicked and went through Open With/Choose Default. The default was already VLC and the remember this box was already checked. Played it again for a few seconds, closed it, went into OE and opened the same video clip, and got the choose player pop-up again.

Well , we could Go Endless like these ways, Well , now I would really Like to See what these Pop-Up message Look Like , Can you please post the Screenshot of that popup message , by having the Look at it , i Think I can Definately Help you solve these problem , post the image in your next reply , hoping to solve your problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast