What Causes Windows Error 0x80070005

I'm running Windows Vista (Home Premium) When I click "Check for Updates" in Windows Update I get the following error:

"Windows could not search for new updates Error(s) found: 0x80070005"

OR

I'm running Windows XP and when I click "Check for Updates" in Windows Update I get the following error:

"[Error number: 0x80070005] The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem."

...or perhaps you are a network administrator and your Windows "boxes" refuse to take automatic WSUS updates from your internal WSUS server?

In particular this error 0x80070005 seems to be an issue after installing the Windows XP SP3 service pack, though I have seen it on Vista machines too.

The issue seems to come down to an error with Windows Genuine Advantage Validation on the PC in question.

So here is the solution on How to fix 0x80070005 Error

0x80070005 - Resolution Suggestion:
In most cases you can resolve this error by doing the following:

Step 1

Open up your browser and download the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool - HERE to your desktop.

Step 2

Simply double click the file and hit the "continue" button.

The tool will now run a diagnostic and hopefully automatically fix the issue on your PC.

Step 3

When finished you should see an entry:

Validation Status: Genuine

Now REBOOT your PC and try Windows Updates again...

Step 4

Another quick way that has been reported to fix this issue is to visit the online validation too:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/def...displaylang=en

...and that should have now resolved the 0x80070005 error for you!

Source: UpdateXP.com

The below articles discussed on our sites may also help you to fix this error code:

Solution for KB892130 installation issues (0x80070005 errors)

How do I fix Error number: 0x80070005