Thread: sync passphrase forgotten in Google Chrome

sync passphrase forgotten in Google Chrome

I have created a passphrase on google chrome browser which allows us to encrypt all of our synced data using a sync passphrase and it is not the same like out Google password. Since I was not using it, I have forgotten the Google Chrome passphrase completely and I cannot remember it at all. So, is there anyone who can tell me how do I completely reset this passphrase in google chrome browser? If anyone has some idea then please let me know asap. Thank you

Re: sync passphrase forgotten in Google Chrome

I will tell you how to reset it. Incase your synced data such as bookmarks, apps, etc; are showing up in the browser on your pc or your smartphone then you need to sign into your Google Dashboard. But if this data is not showing up locally then you will not be able to retrieve it after you reset sync. Now go to the Chrome Sync section and then click Stop and Clear data from Google. It will then remove the data from Google server's and disconnect all synced pc's and devices. Now wait for some time and then sign into Chrome and re-enable sync on your pc and then optionally set a new passphrase.

Well, I am having more than 1000+ bookmarks and many autofills and passwords saved on the chrome browser. Now I don't want to do something to risk and lose all the data like pressing Stop and Clear to delete everything. I just want to confirm first whether this method is working or not. Will I be able to get all of the synced data from the google dashboard if I stop and clear all my sync data from there itself, anyone able to do this, please confirm.

Incase you are having some doubt then I would definitely suggest you to back up all your data's by exporting your bookmarks to a html file. This way you will have a backup version for sure. Also, incase your bookmarks are showing up locally then, on your current browser or device you can click on Stop and Clear and it will not effect them at all. It will only delete data from Google's server and it will not delete data from your computer or device.