Thread: master password box keeps appearing in firefox

master password box keeps appearing in firefox

I have recently updated to the latest Firefox version 34.0.5 and I have noticed that every 5-10 seconds the Master Password dialogue box appears after launching the firefox browser. Even after cancelling the box, it will soon re-appear at any time when browsing any websites that are not password protected. Is there any way to not make this appear until I try to open a website which I have set up a password for? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Re: master password box keeps appearing in firefox

I suppose that if you uninstall and reinstall Firefox then also it will not wipe out this issue at all unless the issue is that Firefox is completely corrupted. I also do not know whether this is the problem here. Incase you are not able to cancel the dialog then you might need to kill the Firefox processes by using the Windows Task Manager. Just try to end task on the Firefox window. Hope this helps you out.

There is an add-on called StartupMaster 1.6 for Firefox, I would suggest you to install this extension and check if it is able to resolve this issue. This extension is a minor enhancement for Firefox & Thunderbird. It asks your master password every time you start the application before the main window is displayed. If there is no master password set, the extension does nothing. Download it from this link - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...startupmaster/

There are two files that you need to delete namely signons.sqlite and key3.db to get you problem rectified. You can first rename the signons.sqlite and key3.db file in Firefox profile folder. Simply add .old to the file names or else move them to another folder to make it possible to undo the action. After that set a new Master Password renaming or deleting the key3.db but all currently saved passwords will be lost.