Thread: Outlook 2007 is not able to identify my IMAP settings

Outlook 2007 is not able to identify my IMAP settings

It looks there is some issue with Microsoft Outlook 2007. It is not working well as expected. I am having a Hotmail account which I am trying to configure on the same. I am also trying to do that for my two gmail ids and it is not working. I am trying to configure IMAP account on the same and it fails to work. I am stuck with it. I do not want pop configuration because a copy of mail will be on the server and it is quiet time consuming to locate and get rid of the same. I get error while adding the account.

Re: Outlook 2007 is not able to identify my IMAP settings

What is the exact error message you are getting. You have to notify that and then only it is going to work or else you will keep on getting the same kind of problem. I had got imap server closed error a number of time and till yet I am not able to figure out how to resolve it. I stopped using Outlook and I am using Thunderbird which is working a lot more better. There is no issue with the same. You can try using Thunderbird instead of outlook which works exactly in the same manner. You wont face any issue in that.

There are usually two ways to add a email account in outlook. The first one is automatic. Where you add the email and outlook is able to pull the imap or pop settings on its own. The second is the manual way. Where you have to add the email with its imap server details and it will start working. You have to test both of them one by one. You can find the imap settings on the web easily for live or for any other account. For yahoo I am quiet doubtful whether it will work or not.

It can be due to some damage files in outlook due to which you are facing issue. You will have to run a repair setup to resolve the problem and you can do that through office installation disc. And it will start working. Just go in control panel and click on uninstall program. There you have to click on office and choose repair. It might ask you the office installation disc. Just insert that and run the setup and I think that might start working. Then try to re-configure the account back again in outlook.

There are some updates that cause issue with imap setup. It is not due to damage system files. There are two updates which commonly cause issue in your system with outlook if it is installed. They are KB2837618 or KB2837643. You have to remove this updates if they are installed. Most of them times if this updates are installed in your system then it will cause sync issue and you wont get any message update in your inbox. Sometime it also cause connectivity problem. Just remove them and check once again.

I think if nothing help you in fixing the issue then the last option left is to use Thunderbird. This one is the best email client I had seen so far. It is very light compared to outlook. Outlook requires a bit more high ram to work on your system. While compare to that if you use Thunderbird then things are much lighter. You can add your account in that and it will manage all of them automatically. You dont have to add any manual settings on the same. Just try out and test it.