Thread: Migrating from a blog to portal

Migrating from a blog to portal

My friend has a blog on Google blogspot based on weight loss. Now he wants to starts his own site no that. His blog is quiet popular and gaining a good page view daily. He had also added ads on it. Now the blog has limited functionality due to which you cannot make the design more better. I want a bit suggestion on the migration. How to make a site for that. We found a developer who says he will give a html based site which will be fast and easy to use.

Re: Migrating from a blog to portal

It is very important to understand what kind of site you want. Either you want a static or dynamic. Static sites comes with fixed design and content. To change you have to modify the site source code. But dynamic website comes more flexible features of updating new content. Like using a Wordpress CMS. If you want to start a site and fill up content on that regular basis then it is recommended to go with dynamic site. Don't go for static one.

First of all you cannot migrate the content of your blog on your website. Even if you do then it will get duplicate in Google search. The best thing you can do is maintain your blog on regular basis. Use a powerful and simple cms like Wordpress. It is easy to use and comes with a lot of theming stuff. You can design site as per your need in this. And it is also budget friendly. You can then create new articles on your site and add a link on your blog.

You have to act bit smartly here. It is not right to keep on adding links on your blog. Your blog is already a reputed platform that you can use effectively to build a good link-building profile. Like you ca interlink articles between your blog and website. For example a article on weight loss with linked article on diet. Put the diet article on website and weight loss on blog. Interlink the article of diet on blog. And done. In this way slowly your traffic will migrate to your website. And after few months you can stop updating your blog.

There are so many good articles on web that gives you detailed information on migrating your blogs-pot to a full fledged website. I had did that long back when I was having a gaming blog. I started my site in WordPress and then I stop updating the blog. But still I keep the link of my home page on the blog. I added a page on the front saying that now fresh content will be updated on this new site. And people click on that and come to my site.

Never delete the old content. It is waste of your entire work. Leave it as it is and use your blog as an effective pathway to build site reputation. Your website once created and uploaded on server will take time to get indexed in Google. You can use your blog as a gateway to your site. There are few good suggestion above interlinking the articles between site. That can really help you. And later on you can switch to your site completely for content.