Thread: Internet Explorer recognizing excel files as rar

Internet Explorer recognizing excel files as rar

I am not able to figure out why Internet Explorer keeps on changing the file type. I am downloading a few excel files from OneDrive. I have around 15 files stored in that. I usually manage them online. Today when I tried to download a few files they are detected as a .rar. I double click on that and winrar opens up with a error. How to restore the file format back as it was before. I can open the file online, but not on my pc.

Re: Internet Explorer recognizing excel files as rar

Looks like there is a bit issue with default program settings in your pc. You can restore that through Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs. Click on the first one Set your default programs. From there look for Microsoft Excel document and check what program is associated for that. There will be a drop down menu from there you have to choose Excel. The file format is usually in xlsx extension.

Re: Internet Explorer recognizing excel files as rar

It is weird. When you download multiple files from your email or from any cloud storage they are zipped together. I get this thin in yahoo mostly. And then you have to extract the same. There is one thing you can do. You can manually rename the file to xlsx and check. If the file open then it is ok but if not then the file is corrupt. For that go in the download section of your browser and right click on the file. Click on open folder and then right click on the file and rename it. Add .xlsx in the end and open it.