Thread: Using a text based browser only can help me to save bandwidth

Using a text based browser only can help me to save bandwidth

I want a good text based browser. I have to make some project and my internet is working very slow. I am not able to surf any pages in it. In a article on web I had seen that using a text browser can help me to browser fast. I want one from my mobile also. I just want to pull out some text from a website. and then I am going to use that info in the project work. Even Wikipedia takes long time to open up.

Re: Using a text based browser only can help me to save bandwidth

I think there is only one browser for that. It is Lynx. This browser gives you pure text and quiet good for those who only needs content. Today websites are located with many graphics. There are images, ads, etc that consume quiet a nice amount of bandwidth. But through Lynx you can surf on slow network also. Just download this and test. It will be a bit complicated to find information through this as there is no image in it.

You can do this on Internet Explorer also. It has a settings where you can disable all the images. And the browser will only download the required text. I think this will be a bit easier for you to surf. For that go in Internet Explorer and then click on Tools > Internet Options > look for multimedia. Disable the images from here. Then try back. See whether you are able to get a faster surfing speed or not. If not then you can try some other browser.

There is one browser that you can test. It is called as ELinks. Just get this one and see. This browser is quiet simple to use and has smart features. It gives you frame wise option. You can quiet easily load all text in it. It is free browser. If you are looking for android then you can go with Text Only browser. It is free and gives you only text content that open up really fast on slow network.