Thread: Encrypting file with common standard and sharing through SkyDrive

Encrypting file with common standard and sharing through SkyDrive

What is the most common way to encrypt a file and share it. I have some sensitive data. This are my person info and I do not want anyone to access it. I am sharing this with my relative. I had seen many people easily pull images and file from popular image sharing website. I want some help to encrypt this files and then share them. So that any unwanted access can be blocked.

Re: Encrypting file with common standard and sharing through SkyDrive

There is a simple way of sharing file. Just archive your files and add a password on that. Winrar offers you a powerful password protection service. Which is not easy to unlock by any software or tool. It has a set of different encryption standard which you can use.

You can go ahead and use some powerful file encryption software. Encryption means locking your file so that only the person who knows can open and view it. I am using Truecrypt in my pc. It is a amazing software. But you cannot use it on your file sharing stuff. The best way is to create a password lock archive file using Winrar as mentioned above. I a using this thing from long time and till yet there is no issue at all. Once the rar file is created and a password is applied to it, it is locked. It is not easy to open it up. People had tried using a tons of unlocking software which failed to work. There is nothing you can do on it. There are some file sharing website available on web, that allows you to have a secure way of sharing files. They offer you a encrypted url. Whatever content send will be accessible to a person only after providing proper login details. You can also create a ftp server on your system and share the file through that. This is another easy way of sharing files.

You can try Google drive for that. It has a option through which you can manage permission. You can allow users to open or view your content as per your need. You just have to add his gmail id on that. The same settings are also available in Sky Drive.

Symantec has a powerful options for that. It offers you a File Share Encryption standard which are applied on cloud storage. Now this is a enterprise thing. But still you can collect more information on this to get a more intact solution. File Sharing Encryption is widely used by number of file sharing website. Because they know you keep your data on it and it can be easily accessed by others. In windows also you can share the encrypted files with others. The process is bit complicated but effective. To open the encrypted file they need a ESS certificate which is issued in Windows to view those files. Along with the file you have to send the certificate also. Or else the person on the other end will not be able to see the file. The easy is to use a winrar password archive as mentioned above. Because it is fast, secure and very easy to manage. I do not think you will need anything other than this.

Linux platform offers you a more powerful way of sharing encrypted. Before using the same you have to first understand and learn the technology. This is very effective and recommended for advance users.

Through Thunderbird you can send encrypted emails. The email client is amazing. I am using this from long time. It is light and works really fine. There is no performance issue with it. The software has support for pgp and gpg. You have to install a extra addon in the client called as enigmail. Through this you will be able to send encrypted email. Now the issue lies with platform here. Because all this thing works on linux. I am having a ubuntu system and I am using Thunderbird on it. There are more archiving software available which you can use. They allow you more powerful password standards so that it remains completely locked. I also think Winrar is good enough for safely sharing files.

What I know, is if you share your files with popular image sharing site or cloud storage there is no guarantee that it remains protected or secure all the time. The encryption stuff depend on the service provider.